Admiring from Afar (Lestrade x Reader)

Thought I'd change it up a little and do a Lestrade one-shot since he's one of my favorite characters. So I hope you guys like it!
--------
Greg let out a sigh, his eyes immediately wandering to your desk where you sat, typing away on your computer. You were so absorbed with your work that you didn't notice his gaze.

He'd been admiring you for awhile now. Ever since you joined Scotland Yard, he couldn't help but watch you. You were one of the best detectives and a good friend of Sherlock and John. You somehow always managed to get the stubborn sociopath to cooperate with the police, even when he didn't feel like it.

But it wasn't just your talents that amazed Greg. It was your incredible beauty and gentle personality.

He loved how you would always run your hand through your (h/c) hair when you were frustrated or how you would bite your lip when you were thinking. Greg especially loved it when you're (e/c) eyes brightened when you found a new piece of evidence or solved a case.

You were also very sweet, as well. Whenever there were relatives of the murder victims' in need of comfort, you were always the one to soothe them. You were the kindest at the station and incredibly selfless, always putting others before yourself.

Overtime, as you and him got closer, he couldn't help the feelings he developed for you. The way his heart pounded in his chest when he saw you or the butterflies that danced in his stomach when you spoke. Greg had fallen in love with you and he had fallen hard.

But he knew that it would never work out. He suspected you had feelings for Sherlock as you two were always together. But despite this, he still loved you.

"Greg!" Your voice startled him from his thoughts. He must've been so out of it that he hadn't even noticed you walk up to him.

"Sorry, what?" He shook his head to clear it before looking up at you.

"I was wondering if you'd like to get some coffee with me," you said shyly. Greg froze for a moment before smiling and nodding.

"Yeah, sure. I'd love to," he replied. You grinned that shameless smile of yours that he loved before starting toward the door with Greg at your heels.

Since it was lunch hour, the two of you made your way to the local café and ordered your favorites. You both talked for awhile, changing subjects occasionally and just talking about whatever came to your mind. Greg couldn't have been happier than when he was with you.

Finally, after a good few hours of talking, it was time to head back. Greg stopped you before you could leave, however, deciding it was now or never.

"Hey (Y/N)?" He sighed and licked his lips, trying to think of what to say.

"Yes Greg?" You waited patiently for him, wondering what he was thinking about.

"I was just wondering if you might want to, you know, maybe, um...come to dinner with me?" Greg asked tentatively. You immediately smiled and nodded vigorously.

"I'd love to, Greg," you responded and placed a light kiss on his cheek. "I'll see you tonight at 7:00." You sent him a wink before walking off, hips swaying.

Greg grinned wildly and almost jumped with joy. He had actually done it! He had actually asked you out on a date! Man, he couldn't wait for tonight.