Chapter One

LOG ENTRY 1

        Bullshit. That's what I say. What kind of sick idiot thought this to be believable? 'Any human who's name is written in this book shall die,' my ass. What a stupid prank. I slid the book into my bag to frame on my wall. It'll be proof of how stupid humanity has become. Sigh. I stood up from where I found the notebook and resumed my walk home.

        There isn't much to look at in my sad city. I don't know why I still walk home anymore. The plan was originally to lose weight, but it's been a year and I look exactly the same. It doesn't really matter, I guess. It keeps me off the couch, unlike the rest of this depressing human race. 

         After a solid fifteen minutes of walking, I finally reach the front door of my house. There's a few crooked shingles, and sure the paint's starting to peel, but no one in my family would to mind.  If I had a family, that is. I moved out of my parents house quite a while ago, and there haven't been any visiting relatives since. I don't care about them anyway. I finally scrapped up enough money to live in a house, so who needs them?  

        I grab the key out of my bag and unlock the heavy door, making it creak open. Hello, dark empty living room. The space floods with light once I flip the switch by the door.  My bag lands on the couch with a thunk as I fling it down, retreating to my bedroom with the notebook in my hand. Having already finished my schoolwork I decided I had the time to skim through its empty pages. As expected, I found nothing of my interest.

I read through the rules again before throwing it onto my bed with a frustrated huff. It couldn't possibly be real. No way. And yet...
I got up and walked across the room to pick it back up. I set it down on the flat glass desk, an open pen in my hand as I stared at the blank page before closing it up again. I would be falling to the incompetence of the average human if I used that notebook. No way in hell would I ever even think about writing someone's name in that thing again. I didn't even know who to kill. I shivered. Funny. I never thought I would hear myself say or think those words. I slid the book on the dusty top shelf, hoping to remove it from my memory and just try to take a nap. But as I turned around to face my bed, I realized something. Something strange. One of the rules I hadn't played much attention to. If the user neglects to write in the note, they will slowly begin to lose their mind. I clenched my fist. Maybe whoever made this wasn't as dumb as I thought. Binding the prank together with a threat. The person who found the notebook would likely be scared into writing names, only left to be humiliated in the end. I smirked to myself, amused at my findings. Too bad I'm not that ignorant, or I might've fallen for this. I turned around and looked at the notebook one last time before getting into bed.