~Chapter One~

It was only a few days ago, or atleast it's felt like that, when almost everyone on earth abandoned us and made us live by ourselves.

By us, I mean the people we have rescued from this tradegy. We call ourselves the "Leftovers" or the "sinners" as the very religious outcast in the group, Noah, likes to call us. He thinks that the rapture is the reason for all of this and we are demons and he is the saint that is supposed to guide us on our way to heaven. We remind him of poor little Adeline in our clan, the pure nine year old girl who was about to be killed by her abusive father right before this whole thing happened.

We only have 15 people in our circle, which will be soon 14 if Noah keeps talking about the rapture. It's a small number compared to the thousands here in what used to be crowded New York.

The only thing we have in common is that we all were about to be killed right when it happened. I was found in a place that looked like it could be a scene from a car crash, which isn't far from what was really happening there.

Everyone has a story about why they were about to die and how the dissapearence of people prevented it.

We all say that it was an accident, but we all really know why we were about to die;
we were all trying to kill ourselves.

Almost everyone has a story, whether it is putting a gun to your own head or jumping off a bridge.

The only two people who don't have a suicide story are Arbey and Adeline.

We all know how Adeline was going to die, but Arbey doesn't seem to have a story.

He was the first one to find everyone and put together our group, so therefore he is the leader.

I've only ever seen him talk to Adeline. Whenever he talks to someone else, it's always a "yes", "no", or "thank you".

Although he never talks to anyone, he seems very wise, so we all respect him.

We never complain about it though, since he's the one who keeps Adeline from breaking down. He's always comforting her, since she's very young and scared of strangers.

He's like a brother, or father to her, even though she has white skin and he has brown.

We sleep in old hotels and eat at different restaurants every day. There is an unspoken rule in our clan that we always have to stick together.

We've been traveling south the entire time. When we ask Arbey, Adelina, who Arbey communicates through, says it is the way it must be done.

Noah used to tell Arbey that he has the correct way to go and to live now. He stopped when Arbey got so annoyed by this that he gave him a punch that he Noah would remember. It left him a black eye and a bloody nose for the rest of the night.