Another Victim

Chapter 3

The night was quiet. The moon shone it's beautiful, silver light down on the almost vacant streets of southwest Detroit. A young lady, looking to be in her mid-twenties, was walking down this empty street. It was unusual, seeing such a young, innocent looking girl walking alone at this hour.

From the way she dressed, you could tell she was a woman of money. She wore a red hooded boiled wool coat, a black turtle neck, and a pair of navy blue skinny jeans. Her ears were endowed with the most extraordinary set red sapphire diamonds. Her hair was down, fringe cascading over her eyes, and the rest bouncing on either of her should as she walked. Her walk was one of purpose, as if she had somewhere to be, be the look in her dark brown eyes was one of uncertainty. And she was right to have such a look, for there many dangers on the dark, lonely streets on southwest Detroit.

She had been walking for at least ten blocks which, in the heels she was wearing, should have been impossible. A blaring, almost angry sound of a ringing cell phone broke the cold, sultry silence of the night. The woman quickly dug into her pants pocket, answering the phone was quickness. She looked around, hoping to have not drawn any attention to herself.

"Hello," she answered.

The person on the other end spoke is a loud, angered voice. The woman pulled the phone away from her ear, just enough to hear.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be home soon," I grumbled.

Another loud and angry line of words came from the other end.

"Of course I have the money," she said, sounding slightly offended, "I don't know why you're so worried. It's not like you're the one out here, turning tricks for a pretty penny," the woman scoffed.

There was a moment of, what seemed to be, dumb struck silence from the person she was talking to.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," she said smugly.

The person said a couple more things to her before abruptly hanging up.

"Well goodbye to you too," she huffed out, sound a bit offended.

She roughly shoved the phone back into her pocket, grumbling something about the nerve some people have. A sudden snap of a twig sounded in the distance, pulling the woman out of her seething anger. She turned to look if anyone was behind her. A sigh of relief blew passed her lips when she found no one there.

She turned back to continue walking when she bumped into a tall, dark figure. She screamed, most certainly taken by surprise.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there," said the figure.

She looked up to see a young man standing there. He had on a light grey hoody with sweat pants to match. She looked to his face, that of true sincerity and concern.

"You okay?" he asked, offering his hand for the woman to take.

"Um, yeah, you just caught me off guard," I replied, a light blush of embarrassment rising on her pale, pink cheeks.

"Oh, sorry about," he said sheepishly, "So what's a girl like you doing out here in the middle of the night?" the man questioned.

"Walking home from work," I said briefly.

"Don't you have someone to pick you?" he asked a worried look on his face.

"No, my boyfriend was supposed to come and pick me up, but I guess he forgot," she lied. Her boyfriend didn't forget, he was just too lazy to actually try and care.

"Well that's unfair. One would think that a guy would remember those kinds of things, especially if it involves his girlfriend," he commented, "How about I walk you home?" the man suggested.