A Light in the Darkness: an Invader Zim fanfic

Chapter 1: Ket

I stare at the stars from my newly set up base. This planet is not the Earth I knew it to be, I thought to myself. Not even close. But I must put that aside for now, I have an important mission to finish.

***

I walked up to the new school I was to attend. I looked up at the sign. It read 'Skool'. This is worse than I thought, I mumbled to myself as I put my hood over my head. I'm in for a long day.

I followed the students to Miss Bitters' classroom. When I walked into the room, I was surprised to see another Irken in the classroom. I normally would be filled with hatred at the sight of one, but this one seemed oddly familiar... I handed a paper to Ms. Bitters and took a seat in the front row. I closed my eyes and focused on the thoughts around me. The only thoughts present are the thoughts of That kid with the glasses capturing The Irken and The Irken taking over the world. He seems the same as the rest of them; power hungry and too proud. I took out my handheld Bible and turned to Revelations. I know that Bibles were banned from America over 50 years ago, but no one here is intelligent enough to even notice I have a book at all. When class begins I close my eyes. A little sleep won't do any harm. After all, I was up all night. Luckily, I am a light sleeper and when Ms. Bitters calls on me I snap awake. "Ket, we are learning about World War 1. Who was the country responsible?" She barks. "Germany was blamed for the war, but Austria was responsible." I answer automatically. "Finally, an intelligent one", she growled. I go back to sleep. I am woken by the lunch bell. Lucky for me, I packed my own lunch. When I get to the cafeteria I take a seat at the far side of the table the Irken is sitting at. I feel sorry for him, sitting alone like that. I pull my lunch out of my bag. I bow my head in silent prayer. When I am finished I start to eat my sandwich. I look over to see the Irken poking his glop with a spoon. "Would you like some of my sandwich?" I ask him. "Inferior human! Zim needs no sandwich!" he shouts. So his name's Zim, I think to myself. Oh yeah! He was the scrawny one that I hacked into his PAK and made him ruin Operation Impending Doom 1! He looks down at the glop in his cafeteria tray. "On second thought," he says, "That sandwich doesn't look bad." and begins eating it. At least he still loves sandwiches, I think to myself. Wait... what do I mean 'still'? I've never even met him before Operation Imending Doom! I glance to the side to see the kid with the glasses glaring at me. Oh no, not again... "Gaz, Gaz look! She's feeding the alien! She must be a paranormal investigator if she knows what doesn't poison him." he says to his sister. "Shut up, Dib" she mumbles and scoots away, her face buried in her Game Slave 2. So his name is Dib, and I think that's his sister... But why do they look so familiar?

The last bell finally rings. I stay seated and wait for the stampede to pass before standing up and leaving. I walk out the door to be greeted by a black cat. "Mel, I thought I'd find you here. Status?" I say. "Nothing much, she replied. You?" "I found these kids in my class. I don't know why, but they're familiar to me... You go and follow that kid with the glasses. His name is Dib. Keep an eye on him, will you?" I replied. "Sure thing, Ket!" she replied and the disappeared into the bushes. I begin to walk back to the base. I take a detour to stop by Zim's base. As soon as I see it I know it's his. He's not very good at mimicing Earth dwellings. I see a little green dog taking out the trash. GIR! I thought he was destroyed to dispose of dangerous information. His memory chip must have been removed and he was accidentally rebuilt. I can't imagine how, though. And how did he end up here? I keep walking. I don't want to draw Zim's attention by staring at his robot. After more walking I see Dib's house. That blue security system is still up. He still hasn't figured out how to get it out of demo mode. Security mode is green. I push the button on the far left post and turn it on. I remember when he was about three years old, he would always be taking apart his toys and putting them back together. Wait... How could I remember that? I don't even know him! I continue walking. I don't want to draw Dib's attention too. I walk back to the graveyard where the base was set up and look at the tombstone in the back. My tombstone, from 2015. Over 100 years ago. I was 17 when the fatal crash killed me and the rest of my family. But around 70 years later the last Christian was killed, far sooner than when the Rapture was to happen. My cousin, my two friends and I were assigned to be reborn into this time to keep the light in the darkness alive. I do not remember much if my old life aside from my name. And that this new time is hauntingly familiar. The dimming sky interrupts my thoughts. I need to feed. I need a lot of food to supply nutrients to my newer body. As the moon rises I run into the woods. I have longed to feel the wind in my face again. I drop to all fours and run faster. I can feel the transformation taking effect. Ever since the chemical explosion, I have found out how to manipulate matter into any form I desire, but it takes tremendous amounts of energy. I head towards the local farm.