Chapter One

When Lauren's father died he left the weight of the world on her small shoulders. She was forced to grow up in a few weeks, forced to become a care taker of her siblings. She went from a straight A student to a girl who struggled to make a C. She dropped out of softball and got a job. She did what she had to do to make life for Taylor and Chris as easy as she could. Her mother tried to help but she was attending college with the hope that she could get a better job. Lauren knew that her mother was just wanting to help, but college was too expensive for their struggling family even before their father was killed. They could hardly afford gas money, and Lauren worked two jobs.
Today was the first day of school after the long treacherous spring break, and Lauren was not happy about it. She hated school because she could hardly keep up with her assignments, and rarely had time for her homework. It took a total of twenty minutes to get to the high school but it felt too short of a time. By the time Lauren arrived most of the students had already found their friends and were chatting happily about their vacations. Lauren pulled out her book and headed over to the vacant bleachers so she could be alone. She didn't have any friends, even though it was her senior year. She lit a cigarette and got lost in her own little world.
Smoking was a habit for Lauren, and had been since she was fifteen. It had all started when she saw how relaxed it made her mother and Lauren was tired of being stressed. Most of the boys at her high school smoked a pack a day, and you could tell by the way the field house reeked. Lauren only smoked one or two cigarettes a day. She didn't want to die until she knew her family could go on without her, but that would be a long time.
Lauren chose to be alone. Many of the kids were nice to her, but she felt as if she did not have time for friends. The last friend she had was when she was fourteen and they stopped talking after the death. They never really said they weren't friends anymore, they never fought, they weren't mad at each other, but Lauren had changed too much. She became a different person. A person who locked everyone out in fear of being distracted by the joys of a relationship. She just couldn't keep up with life.
"You do know that could kill you?" A voice yelled from the bottom of the bleachers. Lauren looked up and saw a tall girl with ombré hair and a red notebook. She studied the girl for a moment before responding, not wanting to say something that would encourage a friendship.
"And why would you care." Lauren shouted back. The girl laughed and walked up the bleachers, placing herself next to Lauren. Lauren looked over at her, trying not to scowl.
"I don't, but I just thought their might be someone who does." The Polynesian girl responded. Lauren gave her a confused glance then let out a smoky breath, watching the gray cloud disappear into the bright blue sky. "I found someone's journal over the break and they had a lot to say about you." Lauren thought about this for a moment and pondered over asking the girl where she found it, why she read it, and why she didn't return it to the owner. Before she could speak the Polynesian girl spoke again. "I found it while I was working and I read it to see if I could figure out who it belonged to. The only thing I recognized is that they are a senior and they really like you." She stopped taking in a large breath of the fresh spring air.
"Why didn't you just put it in the lost and found or something? Why would I want it?" Lauren said picking at Her cuticles. She honestly hoped the girl would leave. They whole conversation felt wrong and she didn't want to get involved in someone else's thoughts, but at the same time she was thrilled to find that someone was interested with her.
"Well, I just thought you might want to help my find the owner. No one ever gets anything back when it gets put in the lost and found, and this person would probably be thrilled to know that you were looking for them." The girl said.
"I honestly don't have time to try to find some random person who stalks me and takes notes. I'm too busy." Lauren stated simply.
"Look, I know something is up. You look sad and lonely all the time, your always alone, you never seem to do anything. Surely you could take the time to at least read the notebook and see if you might have any idea of who it could be." The girl said. "Even if you don't want me to help you, Lauren." Lauren looked back at her surprised to hear someone say her name. Then she realizes this person should not even know who she is.
"Who are you, and how do you know this notebook is about me? We've never met." Lauren questioned. Her green eyes focused on the girl sitting in front of her.
"I'm Dinah Hansen, but everybody calls me Dinah Jane. We've been in Chemistry class together all year so I should know you. Especially when you get called out for daydreaming every five minutes." Dinah says with a laugh. Lauren did not laugh with her. Instead she remained silent until she heard the school bell ring.
"Bye Lauren." Dinah said running down the bleachers to meet up with her friends who were curios of what Dinah had been doing with Lauren. Lauren put out her cigarette and slung her backpack over her shoulders. As she stood up to leave she noticed the red notebook still sitting on the bleachers. Not wanting someone to find it and make fun of Lauren for having a secret admirer, she quickly scooped it up and shoved it in her bag. She hoped this would all blow over very soon and that Dinah would never bother her about it again, but it wouldn't be. In fact this was just the very beginning of her own adventure. An adventure that would teach her how to love and be loved.

A/N
Hey Harmonizers! What do you all think of chapter one. It took me forever to think of just the right thing to write about, but then it all fell into place, and bam I've got a fan-fiction. It may not be the best, but I hope you like it!