Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"He for sure said he saw the killer?" I didn't get why Harry didn't believe me.

I called him after school leaving a very urgent message on his voicemail. He sped over quickly after.

"He said later on that the man told him to keep his mouth shut about everything. For the first time through this whole thing I actually feel scared Harry. My best friend saw him! Before it was just a hunch, but now I realize he's actually here. Trying to get you." I began to shake again.

Harry placed his hands over mine, "everything's going to be alright."

"Promise?" "I pro-" Harry stopped at the sound of keys unlocking the door. I pulled free of his grasp and headed downstairs.

"Oh Dad, you're back early again." I greeted.

He walked past me as if he hadn't heard me.

"Dad?"

"Sorry I can't talk, just grabbing a pair of boots."

"Boots? For what?"

"There's been another death in town." My heart sank, "w-what? Who? Who is it?!"

"We don't know yet. We just found a car that seemed to have driven off the road." He ran to his bedroom.

I slammed my hand on our bookshelf for balance.

My dad stomped back down, "your mom already called and said she's running late from the office so go ahead and order some food."

I sadly nodded, "when will you be back?"

"As soon as possible. Do me a favor and stay indoors. There's a psycho out there looking for blood."

If only he knew. "No problem."

Harry stayed with me through the night, mom was back and allowed him to stay because I was so distraught. We had ordered in a pizza, but I hadn't touched even one slice. I had an inkling that the person that had driven off the road was someone I knew. I hoped that my insight was wrong, I felt like every person who died was partly my fault. Harry and I didn't speak as we waited. He just kept one arm tight around my shoulder. I expected he was waiting for my father to return also. I flung off the couch when I heard my dad at the front door.

"Dad!" I choked. His eyes were grieved and depressed.

"Joe, I need you to sit down."

"Why? What's wrong? Who's car did you find?"

"Sit down." I obeyed and went back to my seat next to Harry.

"We found the car, and the body... The body was in bad condition. It looked like someone had continually hit the car on the side. Like they wanted to drive him off the road..."

"Wait you said him. Him who?" I asked.

"He was a young kid, I don't know who would possibly want to hurt someone so innocent."

"Dad, quit stalling." "We found... Max Owen."

For a split second I stopped breathing.

"He was killed instantly from impact."

"He's... Dead?" I croaked.

"Sweetheart I know this has to be so hard for you. It's hard on all of us. I promise you, we're going to find out who did this."

"Max is dead." I repeated again lifelessly.

I had rushed to my bedroom after I heard the news. Harry of course followed.

"Joe, please snap out of it." He begged.

"He's gone. How is he gone? I saw him just this morning at lunch." I shook my head.

"Joe..."

"He's dead. And it's all because of me."

"Stop, it isn't your fault! You know it's not your fault."

"Yes it is." I argued.

"No, it's not! It's my fault." That's when I snapped.

"You're right." I gritted me teeth.

Standing up from my bed, I pushed him towards the door. Harry's eyes were not angry, he simply allowed me to have my way.

"This is your fault! Because of you, my best friend is DEAD! I should've listened when he said you were trouble! You ARE trouble!"

"Joe, please." "

Get out." I snapped.

"Joe-"

"GET OUT!" With only a minute of hesitation, Harry left.

I replayed my words again and again in my head that night. The things that I said were uncalled for. It wasn't his fault that Max was dead. It wasn't anyone's fault. But Max was dead, and he was killed by the same person who wanted Harry's blood. Harry was going to perform my request, I knew it. He would leave me alone for the rest of the year. Yet, that's not what I wanted at all. I wanted to help him find out who this killer was.

When I saw Harry the next Monday morning at school, he did his share of ignoring me. Even in lab he didn't say a word to me. I had really ruined this for myself. After class, Principle Stevens asked me to go to his office after third period. The last thing I needed was to be lectured about being friends with Harry again. This time would hurt more because of the fact that Harry wanted nothing to do with me. The feeling stung my heart profusely as I thought about it. I wondered if this hurt him at all.

I trudged into the principle office after third was finished. His room was more inviting then Briggs'. His walls were navy blue and awards were placed on every wall. He gave his famous superficial smile before inviting me to sit down. I nodded and sat awkwardly.

"First things first," he stood from where he sat and came to sit on his desk in front of me, "how are you holding up?" 

I became uncomfortable when he put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine." I lied.

"C'mon Honey, you don't have to be tough in this room. This is a safe place."

"Did me Briggs ask you to say that?" I scoffed.

He lifted his hand from my shoulder, "she did... But that's not the point. The point is, you lost someone very important this weekend."

I twitched but kept my mouth shut.

"Doesn't it bother you that someone killed your best friend?"

"If you're trying to make me cry, it's not going I work." I snapped.

"No one's forcing you to do anything, just making sure you're okay."

"I told you... I'm fine."

"I'm guessing Harry's been a support system for you?"

I knew it.

"You could say that."

"On the day Max died, what were you doing?"

"I was at home."

"Do you know where Mr. Styles was?"

"Don't tell me you think he did this too?"

"He's a suspect."

"Geez, whoever is easier to blame huh?"

"We just want answers."

"Harry was with me that night, all night. He didn't do it."

"That's all I wanted to know, you're dismissed."

**