Introduction

Walking down the street, Samantha has her hands in the pockets of her sweater her grandmother had  knit for her before her passing. Her knee-high black boots making a 'click-clack' sound on the pavement below her. Birds chirping, rabbits hopping, and the occasional crunch of a leaf, only to be drowned out by the clicking. She turns her gaze to her surroundings.

What you'd expect. A typical suburban neighbourhood with two-storey houses and a couple bungalos and duplexes. She listens to the wind in the leaves of trees, bushes, and hedges, making a ruffling sound. The sounds from each plant work well together, forming a symphony, almost a choir of rustling and light whistling.

Many people out on their lawns raking the leaves. Most seem to be middle aged, and most of their leaf piles are quickly ruined by small children who jump into the soft oranges and yellows of the dead leaves. Though the middle aged parents, or perhaps grandparents may get angry, they don't yell at the children. They couldn't know any better. The adults simply rake it again, and the children jump into it again. A continuous loop of this, until the children get bored or tired. Which may take the entire day, and most of the time the person raking gets exhausted before the pile of giggling children ambushes their hard work without a second thought.

Many children pointing at black cats, and turning away. Supersticious? Is Samantha's first thought. They'll probably grow out of it by the time they're ten. I know I did.

This town really was a child's town. Most inhabitants were friendly and helpful when needed and the children wore bright smiles frequently. Most of them never leaking a tear unless falling off of the swingset or grazing a knee. Most never wearing a frown unless looking at a bruise they didn't know existed.  What simple lives they led.

Crossing the street, she smiles. Laughing children can be heard in the playground of the school Samantha was walking past. Looking up, she saw a group of girls and boys, laughing and swinging on the Monkey Bars, girls' hair flayling and swinging along with their bodies, boys' hair blown up from their foreheards, or perhaps pushed even more upward. The smell of freshly cut grass is wafted into her nose because of the constant movement of her boots, the wind making her long ebony hair  flow the breeze. She parted her lips and took a deep breath in, completely relaxed and calm, bending down to pluck a dandelion from it's bed of dirt and grass. After smelling the pollen, she drops it back to the ground

Continuing her walking, she starts twiddling her thumbs, still smiling to herself, when she walks, she truly feels truly at-peace with the world around her. Sure, she would like it a lot more if the world around her was forested and green. But peace and quiet, with almost only the sounds of nature was nice. Today was not a busy day, no cars, no construction, and no groups of obnoxious people. Just nothing to disturb the almost blissful silence that enveloped her.

A small giggle can be heard behind Samantha. Tiny arms wrap around her waist, taking her by suprise. She turns her head to look at her right hip to see the little sister of her best friend with her cheek against the side of her right thigh, who then let out another giggle before moving to stand in front of her, arms making a 'Y' shape out of her body.

"Hey, kiddo!" Samantha says enthusiastically, picking her up, "Where's Amy?"

"Amy is behind you." She replies, pointing her finger over Samantha's shoulder.

Sure enough, Amy was walking up, hand on her heart, releived that nothing bad happened to her sister.

"Nicole, don't run away from me again, that was dangerous!" She yells loud enough for her sister to hear.

"Sorry!" Nicole replies, brushing her brown hair back from her blue eyes with her hand, against the wind's will. Amy just smiles, continuing towards them.

"It's alright. Thank you so much, Sam. I was just gonna go to your house. I have something I know you'll love," Amy says, giving Samantha a slightly teasing smile, which was returned.

"And this 'something' would be?" Samantha asked, arching a brow, little smile still plastered on her face.

"Come to my house and you'll find out," Amy smirked, resting her little sister over her shoulder with her matching brown hair resting at almost elbow-length.

They walked in a comfortable silence to Amy's house, only glancing at each other occasionally, mouthing an inside joke to get a chuckle out of the opposing person. Amy stepped up the small staircase up to her door, taking her key from her front pocket and unlocking the door, letting Samantha walk in first. 

The smell of lavender welcomed them home. Candles were almost always burning in this household, to have a subtle smell of whatever was desired. Today, lavender was chosen. The smell was calming, and created a peaceful atmosphere in the home. It felt right to be there, like you belonged and were always welcome. 

"Alright, so what is this 'something' that I'll apparently 'love'?" Samantha asks, smirking at Amy, who put Nicole down to the floor, who soon ran up to her room to go play with Barbies in her room, returning the smirk before speaking.  

"Well," Amy started, reaching into her back pocket, "HIM tickets for next week!"

Little did I know a concert would be life-changing.