Chapter Five- Cookie Tins And Towels

Picture attached is overly skinny cartoon Cory XD me and my friend were playing this computer dress up game we used to play as kids, and I decided to make her. It looks okay, but she's way too skinny.

So, something is very wrong.

It could be the fact that I have a tail, even though I'm supposed to only change in salt water. It also could be the fact that the bathroom door is wide open, and I can hear my siblings in the kitchen, returned from their swim. But it's most definitely the fact that I hear Bri open the front door, and starts to speak to a very familiar voice.

Why the hell is Hat Guy at my house?

Quickly thinking, I slam the door shut with my fins—not all the way because my tail is kinda weak, but enough—and throw open the doors of the cupboard under the sink. Everything is unpacked in the bathroom, but I wasn't told where it was all put away so I have to shuffle around in the cupboard until I find a blow dryer. Clumsily plugging it into an outlet on the wall, I turn it to the highest setting and start drying the crap out of my tail.

After a minute or two, my tail slowly separates into two and my legs are back. Unfortunately, I am completely naked. My clothing from earlier is a bit ripped, with blood from my cut and water on the front of my pyjama shirt and a tear in the shorts from the leg transformation into a tail. Dang, I liked those pyjamas. Standing up on shaky legs, I find a towel to wrap myself in because I'd risk being seen if I went and got clothing from my room, examine myself in the mirror in case I look extra fishy (no mermaid-ish symptoms on me, but I do look terrible), and walk out of the bathroom to see if my sister really is talking to the jerk who tried to steal the hat from me.

It's him. It looks like he's holding a tin of some sort, and he's discussing something with my little sister. The way her cheeks are almost as red as her hair is a telltale sign that she has a crush on MY husband.

Woah, was that me getting protective of this dude who called me by his last name (even though if I ever get married I'll keep my maiden name) and said I would be his wife? Wow, I must've hit my head pretty hard.

Actually, I'm probably just feeling protective of my sister. She's twelve years old, for crying out loud. Way too young for him. Way too young for anyone right now. My baby sister is not dating before she's even a teenager.

I walk up to the door, arms crossed and suddenly self-conscious of my towel (even though I'm never self-conscious). I hide myself behind the door, making sure I'm not seen by the hat thief and I put a finger to my lips so my sister doesn't say anything about my whereabouts. I pop my head out from behind the door (only my head, making sure not to expose any towel), earning a startled look from Hat Guy, and start to speak.

"Well, well, well. We meet again, Hat Guy."

"Jacobs?" He says, shocked.

"Wait, you two know each other?" Bri asks, furrowing her pale brows.

"Yes, we've crossed paths before," I answer dramatically. "You see, my sister, this is the face of my arch nemesis, Hat Guy." I turn to my 'nemesis'. "And what brings you here, Thief?"

Hat Guy responds slowly, pausing for a bit before holding out the tin which I now see is full of cookies and saying, "my mom baked these for you as a 'welcome to the neighbourhood' gift."

I nod my head, then freeze.

"A welcome to the neighbourhood gift? So does that mean that you..." I shake my head, and some hair falls over my bare shoulder. "Does that mean that you live in the neighbourhood?"

"Yep," he says, grinning. "That house is mi casa over there, the reddish one across from yours." He points to a tall house on the other side of the bay, eyes glinting green in the summer sun, obviously not sensing my growing dissapointment. So him, of all people, is my neighbour? Cruel, cruel fate.