The Glitter Tests

"Nurse, prepare the tests. It's going to be a long day."

Sarah began to prepare the tray as Doctor Harvey pulled on a pair of disposable gloves. Their patient was in critical condition. It seemed unlikely that they would live to see another day. But Sarah had faith in the doctor. She knew he would do whatever it took to help the poor thing as it lay flat on the examination table.

Sarah finished with the tray and handed it off to the doctor. He picked up a syringe and began to load it. "This is very important, Nurse."Doctor Harvey held up the syringe, inspecting his work carefully."The substance is extremely strong. The slightest error in measurement could be the patient's undoing."

Sarah watched in silence as the doctor carefully brought the syringe to the patient's skin and pressed down on it. The substance slowly left the syringe.

Harvey's eyes narrowed in concentration as he prepared another syringe, this one with a different mixture. This he injected into another spot on the patient's pale skin.

"One more," he murmured. Sarah stared as he prepared the final dose. Her eyes widened as he began to inject it. This was very important.

Finally, Harvey stepped back and wiped his brow with a sigh. "Nurse, we've done it. The patient will live."

Sarah let out a breath. She looked down at the table, at the white paper with the words "Happy Mother's Day" swirled across it in three colors of glitter glue. "Do you think Mommy will like it?" she asked the doctor.

Harvey looked down at his little sister with a smile. "Yes, Sarah. I think she will like it very much."