Chapter 002

Melissa West-cott. That was the name of the detective who shuddered as she listened to the message received on Lacey Becker’s answering-machine.

.... “I’m watching you. I can hear you breathe. I can hear your heartbeat...Thump..Thump...” Melissa shivered again, looking around. The Number Freak might be listening to her shudders now. Her frantic breathing. Oh yes, she was scared. Lacey Becker was only 4 years younger than her. She was only 27 years old. She wasn’t anyone special. She worked at a primary school-a teacher. The knife was still in her when her best friend found her on the floor. It was a kitchen knife. It was now stained with red. Melissa flinched again, this time as her partner, James Hudsworth, laid a hand on her shoulder.

“Come on Mel. It’s okay. I know the guy’s creepy. I know you’re still getting used to this aspect of murder. But it’s okay-hell, I was scared when I heard that message too. But he’s not going to hurt you. No-one will let him” James paused, waiting for her reaction.

Melissa paused too, but her eyes drew to a man staring at her from across the yellow tape outside. He stared at her-and smirked. Then he turned around and disappeared behind the crowd of Saturday Shoppers and Media.

“He’s here James. He’s waiting for me. He’s watching me.”

“I know Mel. But we won’t let him get you.” Th-Thump. Th-Thump.Th-Thump.