Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

AGE 4

       Ezzah  was  running  around  the  backyard,  hunting  for  ants.  She  really  liked  playing  with  ants.  They  always  fascinated  her.  Ants  were  such tiny,  cool  little  things...and  so  funny  when  they  were  crawling  with  stuff  on  their  backs,  she   thought.  They  were  like  little  people  who  talked  and  greeted  each  other,  made queues,  helped  each  other  and  made  her  laugh  too  by  tickling  her  when  they  ran their  tiny  feet  across  her  arm.

She  had  just  ran  after  an  ant  when  she  bumped  into  someone.  She  looked  up  and immediately  recognized  him  as  the  cousin  her  mama  had  introduced  her  to  the other  day.  He  was  weird  'cause  he  played  with  weird  stuff,  big  boy  stuff  her mama  had  told  her  but  she  liked  him  even  though  he  did  scare  her   as  he  was quite big....just  a  little  bit  though.  Mama  had  told  her  she  was  a  brave  girl  when she  did  not  scream  after  seeing  his  huge  cat  which  she  was  sure  had  growled  at  her.

"Hey!  I  am  Zeb,  your  BIG  cousin" he  emphasized  the  big. "Wanna  play  horsie ?"

"Horsie ?"  She  asked  puzzled.  "But  there  ain't  no  horsie  here  to  play  with! " She said  as  she  looked  around  in  confusion.

"No,  silly! I'll  be  the  horsie  and  you  can  take  a  ride  on  me. " He  explained.

"Ohh  that  makes  sense." She  conceded.  "But  I  ain't  silly!"

"My  teacher  said  nobody  likes  silly  people  and  I  want  you  to  like  me."  She frowned.

"Okay,  then.  You  aren't  really  silly  cause  I  sure  do  like  you,  you  know."  He confided  with  a  shy  smile.

She  decided  then  that  he  had  a  really  nice  smile  and  told  him  just  as  shyly  that she  also  really  liked  him  and  that  they  would  be  best  friends  forever  and  ever   and  ever.

They  played  horsie  all  afternoon  and  the  next  and  the  next.  Everyday  their   mothers  found  them  together  giggling   madly.  She  found  her  entire  world  was  in  his  eyes  and  in  her  he  saw  the  little  sister  he  never  had.

"Thank  God,  she  has  found  him.  I  was  afraid  she  would  never  find  a  friend  being  the  shy  introvert  she  is."  Her  mother  remarked  one  day  to  her  sister-in-law who  was  her  daughter's  new  friend's  mother.

"Yes,  I  was  also  afraid  regarding  him  as  he  has  always  been  very  anti  social. Even  though  he  is  4  years  older  than  her  they  have  grown  quite  close."  His mother  replied.

Their  friendship  grew  day  by  day  until  one  fateful  summer  day  it  all  changed.

Ezzah  was  as  usual  riding  her  beloved  horsie  when  while  reining  in  her  horsie  by   pulling  at  Zeb's  shirt  she  heard  a  horrible  ripping  sound  and  realized  she  had  torn   his  t-shirt.  Horrified  she  jumped  back  and  promptly  tumbled  to  the  ground  as  Zeb      straightened  up.  In  a  second  he  was  surveying  the  damage  to  his  favorite  tee.  It was  his  favorite  color  too  and  the  same  as  his  big  brother's  which  showed  how   cool  it  was.  He  said  nothing  after  a  few  seconds  of  observing  that  it  had  torn  at  the  seams,  just  gave  her  a  disappointed  look  and  left.  Not  a  word  was  spoken  but  in  that  silence  the  heart  of  a  little  girl  was  shattered  to  pieces.

He  had  not  even  been  angry  at  her.  Didn't  even  say  a  word  to  hurt  her  but  she   ached  as  if  she  had  received  a  mighty  blow.  A  strange  stinging  sensation  appeared  in  her  eyes.  She  had  never  ever  received  that  look.  She  didn't  even   know  she  could  ever  get  that  look  directed  at  her.  Now  to  see  it  in  the  eyes  of   her  only  friend  caused  warm  wetness  to  flow  from  her  own.

She  had  never  felt  more  embarrassed  and  vowed  then  and  there  as  warm  silent tears  coursed  through  her  small face  that  she  would  make  it  her  life's  mission  to avoid  the  one  person  who  had  been  her  first  and  bestest  friend  so  never  again   would  she  embarrass  herself  enough  to  see  that  look  in  his  eyes  again. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

A/N: So this is chapter 1. Hope you like it. This story is gonna be around 31 chapters long I suppose. The outline is written but not the chapters so as soon as I write the next chapter I will upload it. Thanks for reading :)