Chapter 1: Born Again

It actually felt good to think about walking into Calabasas High this year, which is weird because I usually have this weird sensation in my stomach that makes me feel like my world is about to get a bit messier. My name is Alexandria DeBerry. I just turned 16 last month and got my permit from the state of California’s DMV. My mom took it upon herself to purchase the most beautiful and tricked out chrome 2013 Range Rover for her now gorgeous looking daughter, me. The interior was all black with silver details and had the most cozy leather seats. After she sent me to fat camp last summer, expecting me to lose at least 46 pounds, our relationship became a bit strayed. She threatened to lock me out of the house if I didn’t lose the weight, quick. You see, I come from a long line of supermodels on my mom’s side. It’s kind of a... ritual, I guess you can say, to look absolutely perfect. My family members from my dad’s side thought it was beyond crazy for my mom to put me in such a situation, knowing I’ve struggled with my weight for a while now. At first, I did too. But then I thought to myself, my mother must really love me if she wants me to look as beautiful as her, right? A lot of people say “beauty comes from within.” It’s a nice little saying, but I don’t think that’s what teenage boys want to hear in this day and age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled up to school in my Range Rover, not really having a care in the world. I heard boys whistling, and girls whispering as I walked through the parking lot of Calabasas High. My appearance recieved a few head nods and winks from a couple of jocks standing next to a cherry red convertible.

“Who’s the new girl?” I heard some girl ask her friend. Little did I know, they meant me.

New girl? I thought hard to myself. It took a moment for me to realize what they were talking about. In all but one summer I went from brunette to blonde, chunky to toned, scared to confident. I was a new person. I was born again.

When I walked up to my locker, and grabbed my books, standing there was a Senior. He immediately grabbed my books, and escorted me to my first block class. As I walked in, the room went quiet. I mean, you could hear a pin drop in there... literally. That wasn't even the craziest part. My english teacher from last year, Mr. Fitz, couldn't even recognize me.

"Has anyone seen Ms. DeBerry?" he casually asked. Everyone looked around the room, shaking their heads no.

"I'm right here, Mr. Fitz," I answered innocently, knowing everyone didn't expect what they saw.

"Alexandria?" he asked, a little confused.

"Please, call me Lexi," I insisted in a bit of a seductive tone.