Chapter One

Prologue

He was running as fast as he could, away from the monsters. Away from the monsters that had killed his mother.

He knew that they were fast, and that he would be toast.

He ran even faster, glancing at the dark buildings as they blurred together from his tears.

He heard the almost-silent footsteps of the monsters that were after him.

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped around him, stopping him in his tracks. He writhed in his captor's unbreakable hold.

"Quiet, young one. Do you want to live?" A man's voice murmured quietly in his ear.

He nodded. The man carried him gently inside a well-lit house, with velvet curtains and darkly-stained hardwood floors.

"Who are you?" He asked, his voice raspy from running.

The man smiled at him and set him down carefully on the couch. "My name is Poseidon Olympia. You looked like you were running for your life. What's wrong?"

He took a deep breath. "My mommy... Monsters came and-and k-killed her..." He whispered, tears now flowing down his cheeks.

Poseidon grabbed him into a hug. He noticed that the man smelled like fresh sea air, like at the beach his mother used to take him all the time. It calmed him down.

"Now, young one, what is your name?" Poseidon asked.

The eight-year-old looked up into the man's kind sea-green eyes. "P-percy. My name's Percy Jackson."

Part I: Change

Percy dodged his adopted father's punches, and lunged out with a kick to his side, bringing Poseidon down.

The older of the two chuckled. "You have gotten much better since you have first started."

Percy smiled. "I have a good teacher." He frowned as he noticed his father's eyes flash red for a second. "Are you thirsty?"

Poseidon shook his head. "I'm fine. I did just hunt a day ago."

Percy shrugged. "You know we shouldn't be sparring when you're thirsty."

The man laughed. "I told you, Percy, I'm fine. You, on the other hand, need some water." He walked into the kitchen and filled a glass for his son. "Here."

Percy took it and drank it greedily. "Thanks."

Poseidon watched him with an unreadable expression. The teen tilted his head, asking a silent question. The man sighed. "Percy, you know how I've told you about me and my family's existence?"

Percy nodded. "Yeah. That the Olympias are an old race of vampires dating back to the dawn of time."

Poseidon met his son's sea-green eyes, much like his own. "Well, any orphaned child my family finds and save has a choice when they turn 17. You are almost 17, correct?"

Percy nodded again, wondering where exactly this was going. He had read about something like this in Poseidon's own copy of the Olympia family legends and stories.

Poseidon sighed again. "You are getting that choice. The choice to become a vampire."

Percy's eyes widened. "You mean, like you? The whole enhanced senses, the super strength and speed, and--" He wrinkled his nose, "the drinking of blood?"

Poseidon nodded. "Yes, the drinking of blood is our curse for being as powerful and ancient as we are."

"So I could become a vampire. I mean, the sharpened senses would be cool, but that curse?"