Chapter 1 & 2: Intro and High School Never Ends

Intro

It all started with a guy. Doesn’t every sappy stupid love story start with a guy? Just fyi, this isn’t one of those stories, but it does start with a guy. Instead of being dumb, let me take you back to the beginning.

I am a Jersey girl born and raised. My mom’s family is from there since they came over to Ellis Island and made the 50 mile trip South. My father’s family came to Boston from Ireland, but that only got me my red hair, green eyes, and Red Sox obsession. My mother’s side of the family got me an attitude and sarcasm from Italy, great metabolism and bone structure from Hungry, and my medium height from Poland.

Before my freshman year of high school, I, Shar (short for Sharon) Byrne, moved from a small town in New Jersey to the South. Yes, the talked about War-Against-Northern-Agression South. I had learned about it in the history books, but never had I ever thought I would be visiting, let alone staying there.

Daddy dearest decided his business was better suited in the South, so my mother, who I refer to as Judy, and I were clearly coming with him. He was packing up our house across the street from the beach down to Hicksville. How is life fair? I wanted to do anything in my power to stop from going down, but there was nothing I could do.

Since I was forced to move down, I had a couple of requests of my own:

1) I was going to private school. I was sick of the public school system and their stupidity and wanted to move up in class.

2) I wanted a walk in closet, huge bathroom, and the entire floor to myself. Since he was picking out the house, that wouldn’t be too hard to meet my demands.

And last but not least,

3) Shopping spree! If I was going to move down South and fit into the high society life that was Southern Living, I would have to get rid of my Dirttyyy Jerseyy clothes and move up in social status to something that could be respected. I already had an usual shade of red hair, I refused to stand out more than I did just by people looking at my head.

These all seemed like reasonable demands, and they were met graciously. I didn’t put up to much after we had already moved in. The house was perfect and the weather was much warmer down here. I could probably get used to this. But I hadn’t met any of the people yet.

High School Never Ends

My high school years don’t really matter all that much. I graduated with the three best friends any girl could ask for. Grace was at the top of my list, she was timid and shy but could be completely crazy within a few hours. She was obsessed with any country song that came on the radio and was a complete shopaholic. Kathy was a Southern Belle to the max, she was searching for her MRS degree and had found it in a future fratdaddy in our grade, Henry. She had her quirks, but I loved her nonetheless. Carrie was my crazy party girl, she was the me I always wanted to be, and became when I was drunk. She had just as fiery an attitude as I did, and was completely and over-the-top friendly to everyone. But her true friends, which were the three of us, she showed her true colors, and I loved all of them.

But the summary of my experience is the most important of all: I came, I met friends, I met new friends, I switched around friends to find my real friends, hooked up, broke up, boozed up, became a true Southern Belle, and fell in love.

Alright so the last one is the real kicker, so that’s where my story begins.

I met Blake first day of school. He was obnoxious and loud and a hundred feet tall. Or at least it seemed that way. His brown hair was always way too long, and strict teachers threatened to cut it right on the spot. His blue eyes popped, but for the first three years, that meant nothing to me. Because if I was looking into his eyes, it was because I wanted to show him that his insults really did hurt.