My Imaginary Friend

Dylan passed the red plastic ball to me and he sighed. I looked up to his blue eyes and pouted. "What's wrong?" I asked him and he shook his head. 

"I just wish we could play outside is all," he said. He looked up at me and his blue eyes connected with my green ones. 

My face tilted up and I smiled brightly, "We've never tried to! We've only ever played here in the house! Come on lets go play outside." I begged. My frilly dress moved about me as I stood up and bounced on my toes. My black flats hit the wood under my feet with each bounce. 

Dylan sighed again before a bright smile crept onto his features, "Alright, But only for a moment!" He said and stood taking my hand in his own. We quickly ran down the stairs, laughing and joking about what we would play once we got out there. 

My mom spotted me on the way out and yelled after me, "Jane! Who are you going to go play with?"  

I simply laughed and yelled back, "Dylan! I'll be out only for a few!" My mom of course let me go as always. Little did I know she didn't know a Dylan. As I ran up to the screen door Dylan's cold hand in my own I pushed it open and burst out into the warmth of afternoon. I laughed gleefully but as I did so I noticed that Dylan was no longer by my side. 

I looked behind me and noticed he still stood behind the threshold to the back door. He smiled sadly and shook his head, "I told you I can't leave the house..." He then started to tear up and I walked back to him before pulling him into a hug. His cold body melted against my own and I could feel the icy tears on my shoulder. 

I sucked in a breath of air and I said, "Least it was worth a try...I thought maybe the older I got the easier it would be for you..but it seems you still can't leave the house." I hugged him tighter and I jumped ten feet high hearing my mom drop a plate. The glass crashed into the tile and sprinkled the floor with white ceramic. I jumped away from Dylan and looked at him then to my mom, he looked at me and he looked terrified. 

"Jane...who are you talking to...?" My mom asked me and I blushed darkly looking at my mom then to Dylan, noticing he shook his head no at me. 

"I-I'm talking to my friend...D-Dylan..." I say my eyes watering as she looked at me with such disbelief. She shook her head and her entire face turned stern. "M-Mom I'm serious he is right here...can't you see him?" I ask and touch Dylan's shoulder next to me.

My mom shook her head and screamed at me, "Go to your room! Stop trying to act cute! Stop making up things that aren't there!" She threw the spoon she had in her hand toward me and I dodged it running up the stairs as fast as my eight year old legs could carry me.