Falling in love with Trouble

Chapter one

I was patiently organizing my files on my desk when the Chief walked into my office. We exchanged stares. I knew that face something has came up, something important. There was no need for words, I followed him into his office. We made our way passing by all my colleagues and the scent of coffee invading my nostrils identifying those who hadn’t slept in who knows how many hours. We were weren’t far from closing this case and many decided to sacrifice a few extra hours of sleep just so the worrying family can at last rest in peace. The bastard we caught denied on speaking, it’s been two days of questioning constantly, he’ll break soon enough. They all do.

The five year old girl is who we want, who the family is desperately praying to receive alive but everyone in this building knows this case doesn’t have a happy ending. Seven days ago she was declared missing, last seen leaving school right when it ended and no one has seen her since. I know the kind of things these sick monsters do to kids like her, weak and defendless, it was such an easy target. My heart fills with sorrow because the family will soon know all that hope was worthless but it is still our job to find her, dead or alive.

I take a seat as I have many times before and look awkwardly at the stuffed eagled balancing behind the Chiefs desk on the top self. It’s always made the Chief more of a bad ass but that’s false illusion, of course. He’s only our boss who informs us on what’s new, who we have to catch, who our partners are although I prefer to work alone and etc. Don’t get this wrong, he’s very important but a bad ass, not close enough.

He clears his throat before making eye contact, “The murderer as spoken at last.”

“And?” I ask feeling my heart accelerating. The Chiefs facial expression tells me everything I need to know. He always tends to look away, inhale and shake his head. The girl is dead.

“That isn’t the only bad news.” He scratches his chin before continuing certainly looking for his next words. “He cremated the body.”

I’m left speechless. If it wasn’t for Ben entering the office in that second I would have killed the bastard myself. He played with us the entire time, knowing we’ll find nothing.

“Sir,” he says. His deep voice caught me by surprise when we first met, sometimes he reminds me of the Marvel character Hulk. Funny to say he sort of looks like him too, tall and very muscular. He can play of a UFC fighter if he wanted considering how his veins are always popping out, and from his bold head as well. “He’s being transferred.”

“Good I’ll be there in a moment, give me a minute with Detective Harrison.” The Chief dismissing him with the wave of his hand. I hear the door close, I didn’t consider turning around and letting Ben know how furious I was in the moment. By my knowledge they all were but being their leader I must remain calm and professional.

“Is he getting the needle or life time in jail?” I ask with my eyes glued on the floor. I fold my hands together sucking in the anger. The Chiefs acknowledges this. He’s known me for ten years now and people certainly never change.

“The court will decide. Julia I know this is hard but we got the guy and that’s what matters.” He inhales a gulp of air and goes on. “I’m assigning you to a new case.”

“Already? Wow.” I think this through. “Who’s the bastard?”

He smiles, “Daniel Riggs, he’s Americas Most Wanted.”

*Authors note: So guys I'm not sure if I should continue this story or not. Give me your thoughts! Help!!