Chapter 2

I'm Aaron. I'm 27 and have been a zombie for 16 years. I was scratched when zombies came to my home. My family was killed, but I got out. Day after day, I slowly started to turn into the things that killed my parents and sister. Now, I just wonder around the buildings. If I'm lucky, we'll find some people that have been hiding. Those days a re the best. Not having anything to eat really sucks. But whenever we find people, I can never bring myself to kill them. I wait for everyone else to do that, then I eat the scraps. All the other zombies are mindless. I know I am too, but I still feel things. But let's get back to the story.
November 22 7:45 am. The day I met Scarlet.

This was just a day like any other. I just wondered around with other zombies bumping into me as we passed. We all lived in the abandoned city. Today I had planned to go to the old post office. At least I think it's a post office. There are old letters in it and stuff like that. As I passed the old café, I saw two zombies wrestling for a bag of chips that was out of an old vending machine. Some others gathered around to see the fight, but I wasn't interested. I just kept walking.

The old apartment blocks looked ready to fall over. Glass was missing from the windows and scattered on the ground. It was a really gloomy day. Clouds covered the usual blue sky. I looked down at my red hoody and decided I would zip it up. If rained, it would get cold. Not that I really got cold, but it made me feel more human if I tried to think like one. After walking for about an hour, I reached the post office. The double doors swung inwards. One was almost off its hinges. No one was in the building. That was a relief. Usually someone else would fight you for the space. Today I had it all to myself. The place was filled with junk. Cool junk. I liked looking at the snow globes. There was one that had a mountain that was covered in snow at the top. I tipped it upside down then the right way up. Little snowflakes floated around the mountain. It was the most beautiful thing, and there aren't many things like that around here.

I placed the snow globe in my hoody pocket. I walked over to another shelf. This had stuffed animals on it. I picked up a small cat with big sparkling eyes. It fit in the palm of my hand. It was so cute. I put it back and looked and touched different things. Pens that had lights on the end. Travel calendars that show the different places of the world. It was all so fascinating. Some cook books showed delicious food that made me think about how hungry I was. I haven't eaten in three days. The longest I've gone without eating was four weeks. I think I almost died. I think. I'm already dead so I don't know how it feels to die when you're already dead. Meh.

I was so carried away with looking at the different things, I almost missed the shouting and sound of gunfire. I waddled outside to see what was happening. Zombies were running towards four figures. They all had guns and were picking off one zombie at a time. Even though I was super hungry, my feet were rooted in place. I couldn't take my eyes off the girl with brown hair. She looked like the ones on the posters that are standing on top of a mountain or admiring the sunset from a luxurious holiday hut. She looked like she was almost glowing. But the anger in her eyes made me feel scared. I was feeling scared. I don't feel. I needed to get close to this girl. But then someone on her team yelled something and they darted into the nearest building. So much for getting close to her.

But I wasn't going to give up that easily.