Chapter VI

Chapter VI

            “Excuse me?” I said out of shock, not quite sure what I just heard. “Bora Bora?”

            “It’s a beautiful island in Polynesia,” explained Austin, flourishing his hands.

            “You can go by yourself,” I told him through chattering teeth, trying to get back into the car. My attempt was futile; of course, the car was locked. “Just go with your little friends, not me. And why’d you drag Robyn into this? You don’t even know her!”

            “I thought you would be lonely,” said Austin casually, now walking towards me to detach me from his car.

            “Uh-um,” I stammered, trying to think of excused. “My family! My parents, they will be so scared when they don’t see me. They’ll call the police, and this just won’t turn out good.”

            Austin laughed. “I talked to your parents already. They seemed rather excited that I’m taking you.”

            Thanks, Mom and Dad. “How’d you get my parents’ number?”

            Austin was now pulling me by my arm toward the plane, and I just followed. He suddenly stopped, bent down, and looked at me straight in the eye. “I am Austin Rosebeck. I can get anyone’s number,” he said with a huge smirk.

            “I’m sure you can. Now are we going to get in the plane or stand here and freeze to death?”

            A smile immediately lit up my face. Dave always used to tell me “you can’t be a true player if you show your real emotions” but screw that. As soon as Maddie agreed to go with me, I got so happy I couldn’t help it. I turned around and saw Dave helping Robyn up the stairs to the airplane; I’m sure she could walk just fine, but that’s just one way of hitting on her. She won’t last that long; she’s too nice. And Dave doesn’t like good girls.

            I see Maddie now trying to pull me toward the plane, but failing miserably.

            “Why are you so fat?” she asked through clenched teeth. “I’m cold, let’s go in the plane.”

            I grab her small waist and hoist her above my shoulder, lifting her like a light sack of potatoes.

            “Austin Rosebeck! Drop me right now!” she yelled, pounding at my back. I just laughed at her.

            “Hey Maddie, guess what the average temperature of Bora Bora is?” I asked a defeated Maddie as I walked up the stairs. As soon as we get on the plane, I set her down. She glares at me as she dusted herself off with her hands.

            “What is it?”

            “85 degrees Fahrenheit.”

            “That’s nice Austin.” Before I could say anything else, she went and sat down in an empty plane seat and looked around in the private jet with fascination.

            I went and sat next to her while the captain announced our departure. I buckled my seat belt as she did the same, while looking out of the window. The cream colored tones of the plane reminded me of the first day I saw her; she was wearing cream-colored flats. “Remember the first time we met?” I asked her.

            She looked at me. “Yeah. You were a jerk.”

            I looked at her in confusion. “I was?”