chapter 1

Detective john Rigsby sighted, as he looked down at the body of Mrs. Alice black. It seemed almost tragic that such a beautiful kind woman should die so young.

"So what do you think detective" detective Rigsby turned to look at the speaker. It was Robert black the brother in law of the victim. He looked fresh and had an air of nonchalance about him. Not at all, like a man whose sister in law was just killed hours ago. "I think that she was murdered" said rigsby "well anyone with eyes can see that detective she has been stabbed four times never mind the pool of blood she is lying in!" exclaimed Robert angrily "what I meant was do you think you will catch the killer soon".

"That depends Mr. Black," said Rigsby calmly "my team is going through the crime scene as we speak and I assure you that we will do the best we can to bring the criminal who did this to justice" promised Rigsby.

"Meanwhile I have a few questions to ask. Could you give us a room where we could interview you and the house staff?" Said Rigsby. "Yes, yes of course. Right this way" said Robert. The room he led rigsby to was spacious and airy with many windows that allowed the sunlight in the room.

There was a large piano in the corner of the room. "This was Alice's favorite room. She used to come up here to play the piano," said Robert. He looked like he was about to cry and for a moment rigsby wondered if he had been too quick in thinking that Robert was not affected by the murder. "Well," said Robert taking a deep breath "here is a desk and chair," he said pointing to a desk and chair in the corner.

"What would you like to ask me detective?" "Right," said Rigsby and took out a notebook and a pencil from his pocket "Mrs. Black was married to your brother Scott black correct?" "Yes that is right Alice and Scott had been married for five years when he died in a car accident," said Robert.

"Yes he slept at the wheel didn't he?" asked the detective "ran over a girl and went off the side of the road" "yes that is what happened we were quite shocked when we heard what happened because you see Scott was always the responsible one. But I guess we should have seen it coming as he was under a lot of stress before he died because of some problems at work" said Robert "Alice was devastated wouldn't come out of her room or stop crying for a week it was a difficult time foe all the family really" said Robert.

"I see" said rigsby" thank you for your time Mr. Black you may send the maid up now" Robert black left the room and a couple of minutes later a pretty young girl came up. Her name was Emma and she said she had been with the family for a few years now. Moreover, when he asked her if she had noticed anything strange lately she said that no she had not noticed anything strange. "although now that I think about it," she said " Mrs. Alice and Mr. Robert had been acting strange lately " "oh," said rigsby " strange how" "well, not exactly strange but one night when I was going up to bed I heard shouting in the dining room so I went to look and it was Mrs. Alice and Mr. Robert arguing about something quite heatedly" she said "what were they arguing about?" asked rigsby "they saw me right away and stopped arguing but I managed to catch a few words before they stopped" she said " I think they were talking about the late Mr. black. Mrs. Alice was talking about confessing to what they had done and Mr. Robert telling her that they were both guilty and if she said anything she would go down with him, but that is all I heard before they saw me" "thank you please send in the housekeeper". Mrs. Goldilocks The housekeeper was a short old woman who had snow-white hair and watery blue eyes. She walked slowly and talked even slower. She did not have anything useful to add and rigsby soon dismissed her and sat back in the chair thinking about the new information he got today. So Alice and Robert had been arguing and it seems like they done something bad enough that Alice wanted to confess and Robert would not let her. It looked like he had a suspect now. He got up from the desk and left the room. Nobody stopped him when he walked through the corridor or descended the great marble staircase to the front door. He looked one more time at the mansion the black family owned before he left through the front iron gate.