1: A Ride

As Charlie and I walked we noticed it was odd that no one was around.The night was dim, silence in the air, not a foot step to be heard. It was cold as if it was mid winter or it had just snowed. We had no jackets or cellphones and yet  I stupidly decided to walk  to the gas station for a pack of cigars. The only thing I had left after paying for them was thirty-two scents.

"I'm cold  Peter," Charlie said  as his green eyes  began to water. He was right, I couldn't even feel my toes.

" Let's walk" I said as I wondered what the plan was because we had no ride home. In the corner of my eye I spotted a payphone on Third Street. "Come on Charlie I see something" I said as I pulled out my remaining thirty-two scents to make a phone call. 

"Hello?" came a voice through the phone.

"Yea, mom." I said. "Charlie and  I need you to pick us up". 

"Erik will be here any minute Peter.  He's taking me to the movies, I can't". I laughed sarcastically.

"What ever." I said , reaching my hand to put the phone back as the line disconnected. Erik was mom's boyfriend. I felt like he was just like the rest.  Mom would usually date someone for a while, claim she loved them and after a while just wouldn't see them anymore.

"Peter let's hitch a ride," said Charlie.

"Ok, let's go," I said.

    We walked some more , finally making our way to  Eighth Street. Charlie and I looked around, but there was still nobody in sight until Charlie made a face and pumped his fists as if he won the lotto. 

"Excuse me sir," Charlie yelled almost piercing my eardrum.  "Sir!" he yelled again.  A bearded Caucasian man had been sitting in a black car with tinted windows.  He turned his face towards us looking at us confused and rolled down his window.

"Can I help you boys" said the Caucasian man, a dark an eerie voice came out of his mouth. 

"We were just wondering if you could give us a ride if that's OK." 

"Get in, where are you young boys headed?" I didn't know this man, and I surely wasn't aware of his capabilities and intentions. We both were in desperate need of a ride, so I said we were up by Twelfth street.  After ten minutes of silence we arrived.By then we were at Charlie's house.

     I had always loved staying at his house. He had a little cat, a great mother, a loving sister named Ari and a caring  father.  His father was cool, he always considered me a son, maybe because my father was a dead beat. Ever since I met Charlie his whole family had been so welcoming.  I had met Charlie at school in my sophomore year, of coarse he was a freshman.  Usually people in different grades wouldn't become best friends but I liked charlie  because he was different.  And to me different was a good thing.

Authours note: comment if you like and please vote