A Strange Encounter

The running of a kingdom can be a rather dull affair. As a child, I remember locking myself in the castle library so that I could read books that weren't on our tutor's curriculum, and the author's of those books always made being queen seem like nothing more than extravagant parties and handsome visitors. We've had a few balls since I was crowned and, yes, I'd met a few handsome men at them, but that's a rare treat.

     Lately, most of my time has been spent verifying and endorsing the many shipping documents and receipts that have piled up on my desk. With our main export being ice, this is always our busiest season. Today, however is Sunday, which is considered a day of rest for the people of Arendelle - even for the royal family.

     Usually, I'd spend the day with Anna but she disappeared almost as quickly as morning service was over, one could only assume to spend time with Kristoff. No matter, I decided to spend my day riding one of the forest trails and perhaps clear my head. These casual trail rides are probably the only time I'm ever really alone, without someone standing outside the door that my father had set as their post many years ago. The royal advisers had decided, considering my powers, that I could protect myself out on the trails as efficiently as the guards so I'm typically able to set out to the forest on my own without any argument.

     I hastily made my way towards my room. When I reached it, I shut the door quietly behind me and began undressing from my formal clothes. After I'd slipped off my shoes, I unfastened my dress and let it fall gently to the floor before I stepped out of it. Then I unlaced my corset, exposing my breasts and stomach, leaving only my bottom covered.

     Still moving in a haste, I searched through my closet for the dress I reserved for riding. The dress I'm looking for is medium blue with a long skirt that's slit on each side, which hides a pair of black knee-length pants that's intended to protect me from the stiff leather of my saddle. It only took me a moment to change and, after I carefully laid my formal gown across my bed, I slipped on my riding boots and made my way towards the kitchen where I packed a small sack with a few apples.

     Then I began to head towards the stables, moving at almost a sprint. Most of the horses, who had been quietly resting inside, now nickered curiously at the sound of the large stable door being opened. I talked quietly to them, trying to soothe them back to their previous peaceful demeanor. A few of them raised their heads over their stall doors to stare at me with interest. One of the brood mares nipped desperately at the sack of apples, which was now fastened to the belt around my waist. Afraid she would nip me instead by accident, I jump suddenly away, effectively spooking her in return. Carefully, I extend my hand towards her and she sniffs my palm. Once she realized I meant her no harm, her body relaxed and she began sniffing the sack with want again. Chuckling, I select an apple and take a big bite which I give to the mare. She munched contently and I continued to walk towards my horse's stall.

     When I first began to near the stall, it looks empty, then a cheery face pears over the door. "Hello," I say soothingly, letting the sweet gelding sniff my hand before I stroke his cheek softly.

     The horse had been given to me by an estranged uncle a week after my coronation. Our father's younger brother, Albert, began travelling a few years after my father and been crowned king and I'd only met him one other time in my life. The day after the celebration, he made an appearance long enough reintroduce himself to me, meet Anna since she was too young to remember him at all and give me my gift.