The Game

When you are 12, you don't remember much. But what you do remember is very important. I remember her. Laughing and flirting as we play a little game of soccer. Her laugh sounded like a dying donkey gasping for air. Yes it was funny and it made me laugh, but she looked so cute I just had to stop and stare.

---------------Fast Forward 5 years---------------

I get slapped awake and I turn around ready to punch whoever did it, then I see Reese sitting there looking out the bus window with a giant smile on her face.
"What?!" She asks her smile getting bigger.
"What was that for?! I was dreaming of food and you ruined it!!" I say to her with a glare.
"I don't know what you're talking about I didn't do anything."
"Mhmm suurrreeee," I say sarcastically.
"Move your crap." She says with a smile. I move my soccer stuff onto the seat in front of me, and then she slides into the seat next to me. Then she reaches behind her, grabs her backpack, and pulls out a book.
"Really with the reading? I thought you wanted to talk to me that's why you woke me up." I say looking at her.
"No I woke you up because I wanted to." She laughs then returns to reading her book. I take out my phone and earbuds and start listening to music. The song Loving You Easy by the Zac Brown Band comes on and I instantly look over at Reese and smile. God she's so beautiful, I wish she knew how I felt so I can just hold her forever and never let her go. Almost like she can read my mind she looks up at me and smiles that beautiful pearly white smile. Alex stop thinking like that she is your best friend she doesn't like you like that you need to find someone new. I half smile at her and turn and look out the window.
"Okay what's wrong?" Reese asks with a worried look on her face.
"What?" I ask taking out one earbud.
"What's wrong?" She repeats.
"Nothing." I say and put my earbud back in. She narrows her eyes and does the unexpected. She turns to her back to me then lays back and puts her head on my lap. I look down at her and her beautiful green eyes, I then stop my music. "Really nothing is wrong." I say hoping she won't see though the shield I put up.
"Alexander we've been best friends for 5 years I know when something is bothering you. I don't like seeing you upset Alex." She looks at me with love and worry. "So are you going to tell me or not?" She asks. I knew she was serious because she never uses my full name unless it's something serious. I hesitated before I spoke;
"It's just--"
"Alright guys we are here, grab your stuff and head out to the field! I should be there shortly!" Coach yelled.
"Sorry I'll talk to you about it later." I say standing up and bending over to grab my bag. Reese put her book back in her backpack then got up without another word and walked off the bus. Damn it Alex, what are you going to tell her? You can't tell her the truth because that would make things awkward. You could always tell her you got in a fight with mom this morning. That wouldn't be a total lie. My thoughts were quickly interrupted by the sound of a ball getting kicked your way. I spin around just in time to trap the ball at my chest and look up to see Reese curse under her breath and start walking my way. "That wasn't very nice you know?" I say with a smile.
"Well, I'm not a very nice person." She smiles back. We walk in comfortable silence the rest of the way to the field.
****
After the game we did our chant, shook hands then I headed back to the bench to take off my cleats and shin guards. I sit down next to Adam our inside right mid-field. Reese came and sat down next to me and started taking off her cleats. We sat there in silence and after I finished taking off my stuff I put on my slides and stood up. Since it was raining Reese took off her shorts, since she had spandex on, and pulled her warm-ups out of her bag and put them on. She grabbed her bag and started walking towards me.
"Good job tonight Adam!" She yelled. She comes up to me and gives me a hug. "Good job best friend," she said letting go. I smile at her.
"Thanks you too. Nice shot too." I say congradulating her on the shot from outside the 18 that went into the top left corner.
"Thanks," she smiles. As we get on the bus we go back to the back and sit down on the very back seat of the bus. Reese looks down at her phone and frowns.
"Is everything okay?" I ask convened.
"Yeah mom just texted me saying that I have to walk to my aunts house tonight because she's in a meeting and won't be out til late."
"Do you want to come to my house and spend the night? I mean if you want I can give you a ride home or something too if you don't want to." I say scratching the back of my neck nervously.
"That sounds fun let me ask mom." She says with a smile then looks back to her phone. We sit on comfortable silence as we wait for a reply. Her phone vibrates once more and she looks down and smiles. "Mom said that was fine. Would your mom be okay with it?"
"Reese you are like the daughter she never had of course she'll be okay with it."
"Okay I just need you to take me home so I can grab my stuff then we will go to your place."
"Okay," I say smiling.
****
We pull back into the parking lot of our local high school and Reese and I grab our stuff and get off the bus. I set my bag down on the ground and dig around for my keys. After finding them I close my bag and start walking to my car with Reese to my left. Tonight is going to be awesome I think then I unlock my car and throw my stuff in the back seat.