Chapter 1

Paisley's POV:

I sat in my room listening to my parents as they screamed at each other of the bottom of the stairs. "I'm not the only one in this house!" My mom shouted her voice cracking. "I know but Paisley doesn't do shit around here either!" My dad screamed back.

Let's start from the beginning. My name is Paisley Smith; I live in a broken home. I have no siblings, an abusive, alcoholic father and a mother who is too afraid to leave the relationship but fights with him all the time. I am 20 years old, but refuse to move being that I defend my mother at times like this. My best friend, and only person I trust with knowing everything that happens in this house lives right across the street. Her name is Brooklyn Hunter.

I opened my door and walked downstairs to see my dad rocking back and forth on his feet, of course, drunk yet again. I slowly walked down the stairs and was doing well at going unnoticed until the stair creaked and my dad's head snapped in my direction. Shit. "Paisley Lee Smith, were you eavesdropping on us!?" He yelled at me. "I don't see it as eavesdropping being that you're screaming I have no choice but to hear everything you say." I said back knowing he was going to start yelling at me now.

"Young lady, I don't like your tone." He said as I got to the bottom of the stairs. "Yeah well I don't like you." I said trying to walk past him. As I pushed past he grabbed my wrist and held on tightly. I yelped out in pain and he let me go but shoved me forward causing me to stumble and grab on to the wall to catch my balance. "Don't talk to me like that, you dumb bitch." He said. I don't know why, but it still hurt when he called me that, and he called me that all the time.

My dad wasn't always like this, he use to care and be nice, but then we had a bad year, he lost both his mom and his dad to a bad car accident the same day he also lost his job. That night he vowed he would drink his pain away and I guess he was still working on it. I slid on my shoes and walked out the door hoping that Brooke was home. I walked across the street and knocked on the door, it opening a few seconds later.

"Figured you would be over soon, towels ready in the bathroom with some clothes, go get your shower while I get my first aid kit and make some coffee, tonight's going to be a long night, I can tell." She said letting me in, I just smile at her and head for the shower. After my shower I walked back out and there were blankets and pillows on the couch and a cup of coffee waiting for me on the table.

"So what happened this time?" She asked walking in with her first aid kit.

"Surprisingly, nothing too bad probably just a hurt wrist." I said

"Alright, so what was the fight about?" She asked as she wrapped my wrist in sports tape.

"About how my mom didn't have dinner ready by the time my dad woke up from his nap." I said rolling my eyes.

My dad no longer works he just depends on my mom so she works 2 jobs. I've been trying to talk her into saving up money to pay for a divorce but she thinks this is just a phase and he'll come out of it soon.

"Wow, isn't that the same fight they get into every night?" She asked.

"Yeah, but this time I was brought into it. About how I don't do shit around the house." I said.

I work as well as my mother; I work in the local bar as a bar tender. "How can you do anything when you have work as well as your mom?" Brooke asked as she sat in the chair by the couch.

"I don't know I guess I'm supposed to just magically make money without working a job." I said sighing.

I loved being able to get out, even if it was just to Brooke's house, it's better than being home. "So, I was gonna wait until your birthday next week to give you these but since you've had a tough day, I'll give you them now. Happy early birthday." Brooke said sliding something across the table to me.

She pulled her hand away and they were tickets, not movie tickets or something like that, concert tickets. Not just too any concert, but the 5 Seconds of Summer concert in Vegas next week.

"You got me 5SOS tickets?!" I squealed out of excitement. You might be wondering why I'm so excited to go see a band for teenage girls, but I really connect with their music and I also prefer the drummer.

"Yes, now you should probably get some sleep, you've had a tough day and you have work tomorrow." Brooke said as she took my cup to the kitchen before going to her room for the night. I got comfortable on the couch and soon sleep took over my body.