History Report

" 'Long ago there was a war between humans and monsters. The humans won by a massive amount and the monsters were trapped underground. Those underground had always believed they were alone, all of the monsters trapped under a giant mountain. How could they believe anything different? As it would turn out, though, there were some monsters who managed to stay above ground. These few monsters grew completely separate from those underground, evolving down a different path completely. Somewhere in their history the fact that many monsters were trapped was lo-' Oh, this is ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!"

"Well, I dunno...it sounds pretty cool to me."

"Don't be silly, Ickis! It would be amazing if it were for a STORY, but as it turns out THIS IS A HISTORY REPORT Anans! You can't keep going on about these supposed monsters trapped underground! You have no historical proof!"

"I used to live there....isn't that proof enough?" Anans tilts her head. She knew none of the other students believed her when she said it, though. The history of those underground seems to have been completely erased from those above. Somewhere along the line all recording of it was vanished. It didn't help none of the humans above knew real magic anymore. After all, there were so few to start with. Magic is a myth now, everything is just slight of hand. A puzzle to be solved by those with keen eyes...just another puzzle...even the evolutionary path of those monsters above ground has excluded most magic save simple tricks each family seems to be able to learn. Ickis has growing...or...'looming' as it's called...Oblina can shape shift...sorda...Krumm has his smell...but they don't even call it magic anymore. They're all just skills each monster can learn to help their scaring techniques. These monsters have survived through scaring humans...if they stop scaring they just sorda start to vanish. They can also contain determination, something few monsters below can handle.

"This is just like your science paper where you said you thought the reason monsters started scaring was to avenge those underground and that information was just lost somewhere!" Oblina seemed annoyed. She was always studying and insisted if such a thing had happened there would have to be some record of it. Someone other then Anans would have heard of it.

"What if I can get proof?" she responded, knowing well it most likely would be impossible. The only reason she was able to send things to her...ehm...'sister' was because she wasn't affected by the resets like most. She'd gotten far enough away that they didn't affect her and none of the monsters or humans up here have the ability to reset. Only the 1...there's just the 1 human...the one toying with them...the 1 she'd hitched a ride from to get out. Yeah...she was 1 of the few monsters with determination that could hold up. Probably because she only injected a few drops and that was all she needed. With that, timing, and luck that the human didn't reset before they were out of the ruins, she was able to get out...nothing from inside can exit underground easily with the barrier up but maybe...just maybe...

"How would you do that?" Krumm asks, looking at me.

"I'll go back home and get it..."

Ickis chuckles softly "Good luck with getting the Gromble to agree to that. Besides, didn't you say once you fall in you can't get out?" He tilts his head slightly, his voice nervous as ever.

"Well at least someone was listening..." Anans found herself thinking. "Yes I did, but there are a few exceptions to the rule. After all, I got out the 1st time didn't I?" she smiled, trying to be convincing.

"And what will you tell the Gromble?" Oblina looked slightly annoyed, as she usually did in this type of situation.

"I'll tell him my sister's sick and needs my help." she replied calmly. "My grades are as good as yours, so it'll be fine..."

"IT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT FINE!!" It was the next day in class and Gromble was in an absolutely hideous mood as usual. When Anans asked about going home it set him off, as expected. "You can't leave now, the scare exams are coming up." He grinned, greenish yellow teeth gleaming.

"What if I took them early?" She responded calmly, met with gasps from the class.

"Well now, you're that eager to do them? I have no doubts you can pass the writen part but the 30 scares plus 1 crowd scare...how will you fair doing that?" He looks at Anans, a challenge in his eyes.

"How long would we normally have?" She blinked the middle 2 eyes, clearly contemplating.

"2 weeks" He responds calmly, grinning.

"Give me 2 days." She says instantly, determination in her eyes. She'd already made up her mind to remind them that there was another part of this story. There was no way she was giving up. Not any time soon, anyways. Her proclamation, however, was met with whispers from the class.

"2 days, hm? Well, what are you waiting for? You've got an exam to complete. If you manage to get all the scares, then I'll give you the written part." A slight bit of condescension was evident in his voice. Clearly he was only allowing this because he was curious as to if she could do it.

"Oh, thank you!" She smiled widely and ran off out the door.

"And as for everyone else...BACK TO WORK!!" The Gromble screamed, and the classroom went silent as everyone did as they were ordered.

"How am I gunna manage this one...?" Anans mumbled once she got back to the room. She needed a plan. She couldn't use easy scares, that would only cause more problems. It was go big or DON'T go home, in this case. And she NEEDED to go home. Not only did she decided she needed to take a video camera but she also decided she was going to take several history books from underground. After all, even if she took them as soon as the human reset it would be back anyways. In that way it's not really stealing, is it? This is how she's chosen to justify it. Now, how to get through this in 2 days...30 scares, a crowd, and 2 days...she takes off suddenly, decided it best to start right away while everyone else is in class. 15 scares both days plus a crowd scare whenever opportune...yeah, this shouldn't be to big a problem. After all, humans hate spiders.

2 days had passed and all 30 scares but...a crowd scare...she needed a crowd scare, and she needed it in about an hour. "I'll go to the mall." she decided "I can scare an entire mall full of people."