Three

January 22nd, 2013
5:45pm
Bro: Hey something is wrong with Dad.
5:50pm
Me: What's wrong?

Out loud,
"Hm, something is wrong with my dad..."
Coworker: Is he okay?
"I don't know...my brother is there."

6:00pm
Bro: I don't know, he wont wake up. Ambulance is coming
6:02pm
Me: Okay, keep me posted.
6:02pm
Bro: yup
6:05pm
Bro: They're taking him to Skiff*. He kinda woke up but they don't know what's wrong.
(*Skiff is a local hospital)
6:05pm
Me: Okay, but was he responding?
6:05pm
Bro: Not really.
6:14pm
Bro: They said he had a stroke and are sending him to DSM*.
(*DSM – Des Moines)
6:15
On my way.

"Oh my god, oh my god, my dad had a stroke, oh my god."
Director picks up the phone, calls newsroom, "I need you."
Other director bolts into room, "What, what is it?"
She points to me.
"My dad....had a stroke."
I pick up my things as he puts his hand on my shoulder and takes over the audio board, and I run to my car.
***
   I don't remember much about the 2-hour car drive. I didn't stop home to pack a bag. I called my mom, who called my sisters, and then I called my grandparents. My brother's mom had already called them, they were leaving soon. She was at the hospital in Des Moines already.
   I remember sobs. No tears, but from the gut "I don't have enough air in my lungs for this" sobs. Trying to breath and drive. I shouldn't have been driving. I haven't prayed that hard in a long time. I drove too fast, I was emotional, and He was clearly listening, because I made the drive in an hour and 15 minutes and not once saw a cop car.
   I was receiving several text messages from the family members who were being notified. My brother told me where in the ER he was, even though his mom wouldn't let him come to the hospital. I got there and my grandpa and step-grandma were there along with my brother's mom. My eldest sister (no relation to my dad) showed up about 10 minutes after I did.