Chapter 11: Certain

I took a step back, blinding confusion enveloping my mind. This couldn't be happening, this couldn't be real. I could hear my heart beating louder than any drum. I wanted to scream, but all that came out was a mangled whimper. I looked up, into Lucifer's eyes, and I could see the hellish fire burning behind them.

It couldn't him. Not Mr Michael, surely not my photography teacher. I had trusted him, I had confided in him at class when he was the only person I could trust. White hot betrayal rang in veins. All those times he had listened to me, to my problems, in the dark room - it was all a lie.

He smiled, but it wasn't the familiar light smile I was always used to. It was twisted into a hideous grimace of a smirk. His eyes stung into my soul and I could almost feel the light of the fire behind him dimming in fear.

My mind reeled as I felt Julien come up behind me. I could feel his breath hit my neck gently. I wanted to throw up. This wasn't right, none of this was right.

Before I could even take a breath in, I snapped around and sprinted towards the door of the library, my heart exploding in my chest. My lungs felt like they were on fire. I had to get out of here, I would die if I spent a second longer near Lucifer. Julien and Lucifer didn't even react to my sudden attempt of escape. They just stood motionless, their dark eyes trailing after me.

I gasped in horror as I reached the heavy wooden door of the library. It twisted and contorted before me, the wood creaking and splitting under the stress. I took a step back as the door slowly submerged away into the wall. I could hear the blood rushing in my ears loudly. How was this happening? I must be hallucinating.

The door had vanished, leaving me standing in front of a solid wall. My mind reeled as I scanned the library. There was no way out. I was trapped.

"There's no point in trying to run Deven." Lucifer sneered coldly, his icy eyes scanning me. "I can control all things, I can make this house your prison if I wanted."

My breath was shattered as I glared at him. A wave of confused anger rolled over me.

"What do you want from me!?" I shouted, but my trembling voice gave my fear away. A malicious grin flickered on the corner of Lucifer's plump lips. Julien just stood there motionless, his eyes studying every inch of me.

"Before I Fell from Heaven, I secured something very near and dear to me in your body. Now, I want it back." Lucifer's voice was low, as rough as gravel.

"Well," I said as stubbornly as I could, "You can't have it. Whatever it is." I knew that there was no point in arguing with him, he was the Devil after all. He could probably kill me with just one flicker of his pinky finger. Lucifer let out a low laugh. It echoed around my brain.

"I don't need your permission to take what is rightfully mine, little girl. I have all the pieces to this game. I've won." He smiled in amusement, his eyes flickering with an emotion that made my blood turn to ice. A shudder ran down my spine as my eyes locked with his.

"This isn't a game." I murmured. Honestly, I didn't even know what 'this' was. I didn't have a clue what Lucifer wanted from me.

"Oh, but it is." Lucifer replied. The heat from the fireplace had seemed to increase, red hot tendrils of heat wove angrily around my body. I clenched my teeth together and blocked it out of my mind. Lucifer's cold eyes we still fixed on me. I barely even noticed Julien's presence in the room, he seemed to have disappeared into the shadows.

"It's like a game of chess, only with higher stakes. I have my King, and my Queen." Lucifer looked to Julien, and then to me, his dark eyes flickering hungrily, "Check mate."