It Was You

It was You

By: orangesoul_singer

On the 3rd week of April, on the year 1994, a baby girl was born.

That baby girl was me. I was the first born of a very loving couple who had hoped for a child for quite a time. Although they both wanted a boy, they were happy enough to have a kid. They named their gift from God, Helena.

And this is my story… but not exactly. This is our story… or rather, my take of it, as well as, the realization I had about us and the life that revolved around us… and the answer to the question I’ve always wondered…

                                                                       I finally realized it…

                                            It took quite some time… but now I know why…

Back when we were mere toddlers, I remembered not knowing you. I was a transferee from a school found miles away. I wasn’t into gossip neither was I into communication. I was shy yet not ordinary so, to everyone else, I was a sight and experience to behold. A foreigner.

I am a loner.

People kept coming and going, introducing themselves and hoping to be friends… and I sort of did make friends, not close ones though. There were also others who secretly considered me a threat… but I didn’t know them, so I didn’t care nor did I know about their thoughts on me until my graduating year. I only bothered to know my classmates, for practical reasons… but we weren’t classmates so, I never knew you.

            At the next year, I gained a best friend. We had met on the last quarter of my first school year. She had kept me very good company and we have even believed we could’ve been long lost twin sisters. The times we shared were the best and were precious and almost always filled with adventure and excitement.

            I could still remember the times when we walked on the forest-like area of school. We would go near the pond and talk non-stop about dreams and realities. We often went to the library, too and we would talk about making original stories and drawing. I also found out we had both liked singing and we would both sing in comfort rooms not minding anyone’s thoughts on the matter.

            Thinking on it now, I’m pretty sure it was because of my best friend that I even have this artistic side in me. I drew before, but I never really bothered improving it. I’m sure… that if life had been any other way, I wouldn’t have this many talents had I not met her. For that, I am extremely thankful.

                But this story isn’t about her. It’s about you.

By this year, you were finally my classmate. I knew you by name and outer personality… but still, I didn’t know you. You were the shy-type and my best friend had kept me well occupied. We had fun, though, and we shared many memories and I treasure every single time we spent so, I hold no regrets.

            I remembered nothing much of this year except of those with my best friend. Heck, I probably didn’t even talk to you much besides maybe for group work. You had your friends and I had my best friend. Back then, I didn’t care to explore others more nor know you better.

                                                                              I am ignorant.

            By the middle of the year, I gained another good friend. She was motherly and overly concerned. She was an addition to our duo. She was also artistic and I remembered being jealous of her drawing technique. But, still I treasure her… just as much as my best friend.