The bus

I took out my phone while I waited for the bus. My parents don't know that I have one so I have to be very careful about when I use it. I put on a pair of my head phones and started scrolling through my song list. I looked up to see that the bus was coming around the corner. I put my song on pause and put it back in my bag. I wouldn't need it on the bus, because it's not that long of a drive to the school from my house and I have Emma to talk to.
Emma's been my best friend ever since we been baby's. She's the only person I have ever told about what goes on at my house. She's been there for me every time I need a lie to tell so that people wouldn't know what the bruises were really from.
The bus pulled up right in front of me. I waited till the driver opened the doors and then jumped in.
"Good morning Cat." The bus drive said with a warm smile on her face.
"Good morning Mrs. Mabel." I said as I walked to the back set were Emma was waiting for me.
"So... Are you aloud to come to the party this weekend?" Emma asked with a hint of hope. I hadn't asked my parents because I know the answer would be the same as always. They would scream at me saying that I don't deserve to then my dad would slap me across the face. I really didn't what another black eye on my birthday.
"No I didn't ask. But you know what the answer would be."
"That's ok we can do something together for your birthday instead. Oh and happy birthday!" Emma always made me feel better.
"Here I got you this." Emma said as she handed over a small wrapped gift. I took the gift with tears in my eyes. My parents don't think I deserve gifts so they never give me any.
"Thanks Emma, you didn't have to." I started to open the gift very carefully. I didn't want to break it or wreak it in any way. After the wrapping was all off there was just a small box left. I opened up the top and gasped. Inside the box was half of a neck less in the shape of a heart that said "for". I looked up at Emma just as she was taking the other half off her neck. Her half said "ever" when she put hers up the mines they fit together perfectly and said"Forever".
"Thank you Emma. This means so much to me." I through my arms around her neck and have her a big hug.
"It's nothing, now we know we'll always be best friends forever!" She said as she helped me put it around my neck.
The bus slowed to a stop right in front of the school and everyone started get off. Me and Emma got off the bus that day with smiles on our faces not knowing that my life was going to change that year.