Chapter 18

Xander woke up in the chair when dawn's sunlight hit his eyes. A quick glance showed him his mate was still on the couch, burrowed under a comforter. Getting up silently, he first went to the kitchen. As expected, Cheryl was there, working on breakfast.

"I need you to watch my mate for a bit. She's in the den."

"But..."

"It'll wait. You need to be there in case she wakes up."

"Yes, sir," she said as she turned off burners.

Heading out, he spotted Lucas and Maxwell. "You two! You're on guard duty. Make sure nothing happens to your Luna, and make sure nothing happens to upset her. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Alpha!" they chorused, then headed inside. George was giving a few of the younger members some pointers as they skirmished.

Some of the wolves saw Xander making a beeline for his Beta and cleared out of the way. George's first warning he was in trouble was Xander's fist connecting with the side of his jaw. Stumbling back, he took a glancing blow from Xander's left fist before another right flattened his nose.

Blood covered George's face as he scooted back into a fighting stance, his nose slowly resuming its normal shape. "Whad da hell man?"

"Do not EVER upset your Luna again! Am I clear?"

"Yeah, I god thad lasd nighd!"

Xander dropped his beta with a snap kick to the head, followed by a round house. "Leave him," he ordered the rest of the pack, before turning his back on them and stalking back to the house.

As he entered the house, he exhaled a calming breath. Cheryl was whimpering slightly. "Go get your idiot mate. You two, you're on kitchen duty. Don't burn anything."

"Yes, Alpha," the boys chorused before they took off for the kitchen. Cheryl had already gone out the door.

Settling himself back in the recliner, he settled his gaze on the small figure on the couch. She'd shifted somewhat while he'd been reprimanding his beta. What am I going to do with you? You've been so badly scarred by what happened.

She shifted, exposing the scarring on her shoulder and neck. At least that's finally fading. Shifting yesterday probably helped burn some of the silver out of her system. She's eating well, which helps, too.

The sun drifted down into her face, causing her to scrunch it up before blinking her eyes open. She shaded her face with an arm before her eyes darted around the room, finally locking in on him.

"Good morning, my precious one."

She frowned slightly.

"I'm sorry I got so upset last night. I was mad at George, not you. He should have known better than to say something like that, considering what you've been through."

It was at that point that George and Cheryl came through the front door. His mate's eyes shifted to them, then widened as she took in George's blood-covered face. Her eyes darted between Xander and George.

It was George who spoke up. "Sorry aboud lasd nighd, Luna." He walked over to the kitchen table and grabbed a paper towel. Blowing sharply, Xander could briefly catch sight of the blood he'd cleared from his nostril. "I was out of line. It won't happen again," he added with a slight grin.

Cheryl smacked him on the back of the head before she headed into the kitchen.

"Toss me a paper towel, George," he commanded. The whole roll landed in his hand, and he wiped off his knuckles before tossing it back. "Thanks."

"No problem, Xan."

His mate was staring at them in obvious, utter confusion.