o n e

avian

I smiled and waved my mother goodbye as she drove off in her van, leaving me standing on the curb with shaky hands and a rapidly beating heart. Right now, I was stood outside one of the most beautiful houses—mansions, rather—I've ever laid my eyes on, solely because I was seeking out the position of being a nanny. To be completely truthful, I wasn't fully appealed with the idea of spending most of my summer tending to little kids, but when I saw the estimated amount of pay, there was no way I could turn this down.

I held the crumpled paper in my hand that was posted near my university, which was the exact source which led me to where I am now. The wrinkled paper had the words in bold right at the top so you knew just what you were getting into: 'NANNY NEEDED FOR THE SUMMER TO HELP WITH A DEMONIC 5 YEAR OLD. GOOD PAY! :)'

I laughed every time I read it over because it helped me realize that the parents of this child had a great sense of humor, which eased my arising tensions. I'd rather work for a laid-back person who knows how to handle a couple jokes opposed to an up-tight person who's deemed to blow up if you make a simple mistake.

Deciding to not waste any more time, I took a deep breath and walked up the driveway, punching in the code I was given after calling the provided number to let the parents know I was interested. The mother sounded awfully bubbly on the phone, which made me even happier to be here. I, myself, was a cheerful person who accidentally shouted my greetings on the phone—so it was good to know I wasn't alone.

After the iron gates parted to let me through, I walked up the gravelly path and stood at the fancy front door. I stood there for a while after ringing the doorbell, taking the time to brush through my hair and pull my denim skirt down so I wasn't showing too much thigh.

My breath hitched when the doors opened and two Greek mythological parents stood before me with welcoming smiles. They were just as stunning as this property—which is quite darn stunning.

The father had long brown hair, with a few blonde strands, that curled effortlessly at the ends. He was easily about six-foot-four, which was a great difference compared to his tiny wife. His lips were thin and pink, but they suited his face perfectly. His eyes—which were the most beautiful shade of green—were peering down at me, a million expressions transitioning throughout them as he watched me observe him.

His wife—oh, don't get me started on her. Despite her height, she was large and lavish, wearing her long blonde hair in loose curls. Her blue eyes glimmered as she smiled at me, her peachy cheeks enlarging as she did so. Both her and her husband had perfectly aligned, white teeth—so perfect, I'm sure their dentists worshiped the ground they walked on.

I'm quite sure I stood there, my mouth agape with an everlasting string of drool coming from it, as I watched them. They were so gorgeous and I wanted more than anything to be apart of this picture-perfect family.

Margot, the picturesque wife, gently took my hand in hers and took me inside, smiling brightly as she did so. All this woman ever did was smile and I'm sure she wouldn't get tired of it.

"I'm sure you've spoken to Margot on the phone. I'm Harry." The father said, anxiously biting his bottom lip as he outstretched his hand to me. For a second, I forgot what a handshake was as I stared at his hand, admiring the assortment of rings that were wrapped around his lengthy fingers. Once he snapped, I removed myself from my thoughts and joined my hand with his, shaking them up and down before being the first to pull away.