The Longest Day

Connie sat down with relief. She was tired, and looked forward to a long day of sitting around with paperwork. Although this was normally tedious, it's the only thing that Connie felt up to. But her relief wasn't long lasting. The door burst open, and in ran Charlie. "I'd say don't you knock, but then again you never run. What's the matter?"  Charlie glanced at the floor, and then back at Connie. "Grace has just come in, she collapsed at home. You legally aren't allowed to treat her, but you're her mum and deserve to be there." Connie ran out of the office. This was the last thing she'd expected when Charlie had run into the room.

"How is she, Zoe?" As Connie burst into Resus, her eyes were drawn to her daughter lying on the bed. There was blood stained all down her arm, and her face was gaunt, sunken and pale. How had she let this happen? Connie sat down beside her daughter, and began to cry. Suddenly, Grace began to stir. "Grace? Baby what happened? You had me so worried love!" A tear escaped Grace's eye. "Mum, I couldn't breathe. All the thoughts of Dad and you came back. This is the only thing that calmed my breathing, I've done it for a while. I'm so sorry Mum, I'm so sorry." Tears were now falling thick and fast down Grace's face. Connie was sadder than she'd ever been. Her own daughter, and she'd failed to notice. As tears now rolled down her face, she pulled Grace close. She was the only thing that mattered right then.

As Jacob entered, he saw the two most important girls in his life in a tight embrace. He knew not to disturb them, so smiled at the nurse, and left. He was so angry with himself again, he knew what signs to pick up on, and he'd missed them. But then he sighed. Grace had been home 2 days. He simply couldn't blame himself.