Chapter One

There are two things I hate in this world: traffic and football players.

The latter I can explain next time, but right now, this Seattle traffic is really getting on my nerves. One would think that I'd be used to it since I was a city girl, but nope, I'm not. So here I am, back in the great Pacific Northwest, returning after five years at Stanford. It's the middle of July and it's pretty hot, but it's tolerable. California was great, but there's just something about Washington that I love.

Except Seattle traffic. Ugh. It's a good thing I'm not living in the city. I'd murder myself. My best friend, Sophia, was gracious enough to let me move in with her in Renton. After an hour of sitting in pure torture, I finally drive into a nice neighborhood where Sophia's place was at. I'm in absolute awe. Of course I'm surprised that she could afford to live in such a nice neighborhood, but then I know she inherited so much money from her deceased grandparents. Being the only grandchild, and estranged from her parents, she was their one and only favorite.

I pull up to a house, wondering if I'm at the right address, but I get my confirmation when a familiar blonde is bounding down the front stairs in her little short shorts and a tank.

"Krista!" She pulls me into a tight hug. "Girl! I'm glad you're back! Most of your things have arrived and I got them all situated into the house. Your room just needs a little TLC, and I'll be happy to help you with that if you want."

I smile up at her. "Thanks again for letting me live with you."

She waves her hand in dismissal and starts to head to my trunk to get one of my two big suitcases that hold my clothes. "Stop thanking me. I needed a roommate, and I didn't want to just find some random on Craigslist or something. You're my best friend, and since now that you're back from Stanford for good, we can finally move forward with our plans."

I laugh as we both head into the house, towing along my luggage. After spending most of the afternoon fixing my new bedroom and catching up with Sophia, we both lounge on the couch with a glass of wine.

"So how's the café coming along?" I ask her as I sip my glass.

"It's doing really good actually. The only thing we were missing is our co-owner," she smirks.

I roll my eyes. Back during my spring break, I came to visit Sophia. Then, she was practically sitting around with her culinary degree and a large sum of money, doing nothing. I suggested to open up a café of some sort. I knew she would rather do things at her own pace than work in some restaurant following someone's orders.

She loved the idea and she did just that with my help. Since I got my MBA, she thought it was a good opportunity. We wanted the place to have everything: an espresso shop, freshly baked pastries, fresh juice, and just a place for customers to sit in and have a relaxing time. We bought the building in downtown Renton, renovated it, got all the supplies, and soon enough, we were in business.

"Well now I'm back, and I can't wait to see the place." I finished my glass and I stood to go put it away in the kitchen. "I'm going to head up now. It's been a long day."

She stands to hug me. "I'm so glad your back, Krista. I sure as hell missed you."

I hug her back. "I missed you, too. After we go to the café tomorrow, we need to have a girl's day. I need a few inches off my head, and just need a new look for a new start."

Her green eyes bulge out in excitement. If anyone is up for a girl's day, it's Sophia.

"OMG yes! It's time you changed your look! Don't get me wrong, I love your black hair, since it brings out the bluest of blue in your eyes. But a few layers, maybe some bangs of sorts? Oh! And you need to get rid of that old college look. No dressing up like you're a student. You are now a business owner!" She claps, excited. I look on, amused. "And don't worry about expenses, just think of it as my welcome home/ new roomie/ happy late graduation gift."