Chapter Two

"Okay, I need to know. What is with that big smile on your face?" Sophia pipes up.

While everyone is in the back kitchen, Sophia and I are manning the front counters. I look up at her from whatever I'm doing.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Girl! You've been smiling ever since this morning. For no odd reason, might I add." She gets closer to me, observing. Then her lips pull up into a sly smile. "What's his name?"

"Soph, what are you talking about?" I try to move away from her. She's relentless when she wants to get information out.

She follows me. "Oh, spill it Krista. Last time I've seen you like this was when you were with that asshole of an ex. That was two years ago."

I scowl as she brings up. I don't like the past being brought up. "It's nothing, Soph. And don't ever bring him up, or even mention him. It's not worth my time." I go back to restocking cups.

"Okay, I'm sorry. But I know you. And it looks like you have a crush on someone. Just tell me!" She gives me her pleading look.

"It's no one, I swear." I hate keeping things from her, but Soph tends to make a big deal about things, especially my love life. I don't want to make a big deal about anything. It just gives hope, and that's the last thing I need. "I just had a good run today. Beat my time."

She sighs in exasperation. "Fine. I'm not going to push this anymore. I'm going up to the office to find some new stuff to sell." She leaves me alone as I finish refilling inventory.

I'm glad it's slow at this time of day. It gives me time to get things in order. I check the syrups if any need to be refilled. The coffee beans actually do. I don't know why we did this, but the bag of beans are on the top shelf, on display. Not wanting to get anyone, I grab a chair. Just as I get up, the doorbells sound, signaling of a customer.

"Give me a moment, I'll be right with you!" I call over my shoulder as I grab my intended target.

"No worries, take your time." I know that voice. I turn quickly, seeing Doug smiling up at me. But my rash movement caused me to lose my balance.

Shit, this is going to hurt. I feel gravity working against me as I begin to fall. I close my eyes, waiting for impact, but it never comes.

"Hey, I got you." Doug's voice is closer.

I look up, and find myself looking into his deep, brown eyes. Taking in my surroundings, I find myself in his arms, clutching the bag of coffee beans. I wiggle, trying to get down from his arms. He sure is muscular and very strong. Well this is embarrassing.

"Uh... thank you," I turn away from him to put the bag down on the counter.

"Anytime." I hear him walk back around. I take that time to gather myself up.

Pulling up a smile, I look up at him. "So, what can I get for you? I'm going to assume you're not going to get another whole box of pastries again."

He chuckles. "Actually, I just might. Those pastries were really good and I want to bring some to work. But I'm also here to get a drink."

"Cool," I smile. I make an assortment in a box. He got about 2 dozen pastries, almost all what we had on display. He also ordered a smoothie. As I make his drink, he starts up small talk.

"Nice shirt. You a fan?"

I look down at the Seahawks shirt Soph bought me. I didn't want the staff to feel like I disapprove, so I thought I'd join in. It's just a shirt to me.

"Not really. Everyone here on staff are fans, so I thought I'd just show support as well. Not a huge football fan." I grimace as unwanted memories flood my mind. "You?"