Chapter 2; Um... Awkward.

“Rae! Jane!” a girl's voice shakes me awake. It's Patricia. Patricia was a freshman in high school when the apocalypse started. She just turned fifteen about three months ago.

“What is Trish?” I say urgently. No one ever wakes Jane and I up. They let us sleep, especially me, until we wake up on our own.

“Coop figured you might be upset that you couldn't go with the guys this time,” she explains, “He's making your favorite breakfast.” I roll my eyes and sit up.

“I don't want his damn sympathy,” I spit. We've all been living together for about a year and I still can't stand my ex, Conner and his twin brother, Cooper. I don't think I'll ever forgive them. Well, maybe I'll forgive Coop, but probably not Conner.

“Well,” Jane says, sliding off the bed, “I'm cool with sympathy breakfast so I'm going down.” Trish follows her out of the room. I lay back against the pillows and close my eyes again. I'm not alone for very long though.

“Hey,” a male voice says. I don't open my eyes but I know it's James, Kreed's little brother. “Aren't you coming down to breakfast?” I shake my head. He doesn't say anything but I hear his footsteps coming in the room. The guys tend to not be as quiet as us girls are. “Can I stay here with you then?” I shrug and feel the right side of the bed sink as he sits down with me. “They'll be alright Rae.”

“Sure they will,” I say with some venom in my voice. James tries to hold me but I flinch away. Being held and being hugged are two different things. Hugging never shows a sign of weakness. But if I am held, I will cry, and I refuse to be that weak. “I'm the last person he saw James. What if he doesn't remember them?”

“Let's talk about something else,” he suggests.

“Okay,” I agree, “tell me something. How did your brother end up with a name like Kreed while you ended up with James, the most normal name ever?” He laughs loudly and shrugs. Suddenly he leans in and kisses me. I jump off the bed and walk across the room. James looks a little hurt. Even though he doesn't ask for one, I begin to give him an explanation. “Jamie you know I love you to death but it isn't THAT kind of love. And even if it was THAT love you know we have to focus on our job. That kind of stuff isn't worth being killed by a zombie over.”

“Yeah,” he says disappointed, “I get it Rae. Let's just go to breakfast.” I walk over to my dresser and pull out jean shorts and a black shirt. He turns to face the wall as I change. Suddenly the door bursts open.

“Woah!” Jean exclaims when she sees me half dressed while James is in the room.