Chapter 9: R5 Family Reacts

Ross' POV

No. This is NOT happening. Laura CANNOT be signed to a different label. I'll never see her again.

Okay, call me creepy for spying on their conversation, but I'm just watching out for my girl. Well, she's not my girl yet, but she will be... eventually. Maybe.

I'm currently hiding behind a thick cement pole where no one can see me, but I can still hear everything.

If Laura leaves R5, she won't be able to write songs, hang out with any of us, or be my girlfriend. Once I get things straightened out between us, that is.

I breathe at a steady pace, awaiting Laura's answer.

"Wow, thank you so much for your offer, sir," the look on her face said it all. She would never be mine. At that moment the ecstatic expression I read on her face changed. It went from sunny and bright to the face of a little kid who was being forced to eat vegetables at the dinner table.

"Can you give me some time to think about this? I need to talk it over with my family," Laura finished as the man nodded and walked away, but not before giving Laura a business card. She eagerly ran back to Rydel, squealing with delight.

Phew! I thought for sure she was going to say yes! Now I have time to convince her to stay. Wait, Ross. Don't you want her to be happy? Of course I do, I just don't want to picture my life without Laura in it. She has to live out her destiny with me by her side. Because without her, I'm nothing. R5 is nothing without her. Laura has to stay.

Laura's POV

"Was that the right decision, Delly?" I asked.

"I think so. It is a big step in your life and you need to be 100% sure about your final decision, so I'm glad you're giving it time," Rydel comforted me. "Now c'mon. The limo's outside waiting for us and you need to tell everyone the big news."

---

We finally arrived home, but I still hadn't told anyone about Big Machine. They all seemed so happy about "Me and You" that I didn't want to kill the mood.

I walked through the front door and lied down on the couch with my head on the armrest. Everyone else came in and scattered like usual, except Ross. He sat near my feet at the end of the couch. Okay, weird. Come to think of it, he wasn't very talkative on the way here and now he's sitting here with his shoulders slumped.

He probably didn't feel like talking, so I lied back down and took out my phone. It was blowing up with notifications from Twitter and my face froze in shock and excitement.

Ross must have been looking my way or something because he jumped off the couch and hurried over to me. "Laura? What's wrong?" he looked over my shoulder at my phone and his face soon mirrored my expression.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing! Everyone is tweeting me about how well I sing!" I unlocked my phone, scrolling through all of the tweets at rapid speed.

"You deserve it, Laura. Everything you do is perfect and I'm glad you get finally get the credit," Ross looked at me with an admiring smile.

"Aww, thanks," I stared back at him with the same expression.

Uh oh. I still didn't mention the record deal. Ross is my best friend and he deserves to know, right? I hope I'm not making a mistake telling him about this. I sat up straight and began. "Ross, I need to tell you something." He looked into my eyes. "I... may or may not have been offered a record deal to Big Machine after the interview."

"What?! Laura, that-that's great. I'm so happy for you," he stammered.

I squinted and tried to read his facial expression. "Ross, I know you're hiding something."

"Okay, fine. I overheard your conversation with that guy from the record label. I'm really happy for you, honest. I always knew this magical day would come for you because you're way too talented. It's just, I don't want you to leave," he looked sad, yet hopeful. It was good and bad news, I guess.

"Well, what do you think I should do? Stay? Or leave?"

"I don't know, Laura. I'm still having trouble processing this. You've been with R5 for six years and no one wants to give you up. But at the same time we want you to live out your dream."

"What are you saying I should do?" I was confused.

Ross put his hand on my shoulder, "I'm saying you should go wherever the music takes you," and then he walked out of the room.

I repositioned myself, lying down on the couch. What do I do? Why is this so hard? It's because I love all of them so much that I don't want to leave. What if I accepted the offer? I would be touring the world, recording music, and writing songs, but what about R5? They can't write their own songs, it was a disaster last time I asked them to try. They ended up singing a song meant for nine year old boys that you would hear on a camping trip. That was the one time I was glad my secret was safe.

If I do stay, I won't be a secret anymore. I wouldn't have to hide behind the curtain and I could enjoy myself at the concerts. We would all be touring the world together. Sure, I wouldn't be signed to a label, but I would be with the people I love. And that's what matters.

Also, how would I live without Ross by my side? He's my best friend; when else would I meet a guy like him? He always knows how to make me smile and laugh and I always have a good time with him. It's been even better recently because whenever I'm around him, there's this giddy feeling in my stomach, kind of like butterflies.

I gasp. I know what my final decision is. I belong with Ross. I-I mean R5... right? Yeah. Or do I?

***

Whew! That was the shortest time it has ever taken me to write a chapter! I was rushing and I really wanted to get it up by Christmas, so Merry Christmas! Consider this my virtual present for Christmas. So far, I've gotten a new pair of Converse and I really love them! I immediately thought of "Doctor, Doctor" when I got them. Haha. #R5er

There will be a lot of Austin & Ally references in this fanfic, so keep an eye out for them. ;D

Stephanie (yesifeelgoodr5)