History Of Ancient Civilization

HISTORY OF ANCIENT CIVILIZATION ***

Produced by Thierry Alberto, Jeannie Howse and the Online Distributed Proofreaders Europe at http://dp.rastko.net.

* * * * *

+--------------------------------------------------------------+ | | | Transcriber's Note: | | | | Bolded text is distinguished by ='s at start and finish. | | Italicized text is distinguished by _'s at start and finish. | | | +--------------------------------------------------------------+

HISTORY OF

ANCIENT CIVILIZATION

BY

CHARLES SEIGNOBOS

DOCTOR OF LETTERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PARIS

LONDON T. FISHER UNWIN ADELPHI TERRACE MCMVII

(_All rights reserved_)

EDITOR'S NOTE

In preparing this volume, the Editor has used both the three-volume edition and the two-volume edition of the "Histoire de la Civilisation." He has usually preferred the order of topics of the two-volume edition, but has supplemented the material therein with other matter drawn from the three-volume edition.

A few corrections to the text have been given in foot-notes. These notes are always clearly distinguished from the elucidations of the author.

A.H.W.

CONTENTS

CHAPTER I

PREHISTORIC TIMES. Prehistoric archæology--Prehistoric remains; their antiquity--Prehistoric science--The four ages.

THE ROUGH STONE AGE. Remains found in the gravels--The cave-men.

THE POLISHED STONE AGE. Lake-villages--Megalithic monuments.

THE BRONZE AGE. Bronze--Bronze objects.

THE IRON AGE. Iron--Iron weapons--Epochs of the Iron Age.

Conclusions: How the four ages are to be conceived; uncertainties; solved questions.

CHAPTER II

HISTORY AND THE DOCUMENTS. History--Legends--History in general--Great divisions of history--Ancient history--Modern history--The Middle Ages.

SOURCES FOR THE HISTORY OF ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS. Books--Monuments--Inscriptions--Languages--Lacunæ.

RACES AND PEOPLES. Anthropology--The races--Civilized peoples--Aryans and Semites.

CHAPTER III

THE EGYPTIANS. Egypt--The country--The Nile--Fertility of the soil--The accounts of Herodotus--Champollion--Egyptologists--Discoveries.

THE EGYPTIAN EMPIRE. Antiquity of the Egyptian people--Memphis and the pyramids--Egyptian civilization--Thebes--The Pharaoh--The subjects--Despotism--Isolation of the Egyptians.

RELIGION OF THE EGYPTIANS. The gods--Osiris--Ammon-râ--Gods with animal heads--Sacred animals--The bull Apis--Worship of the dead--Judgment of the soul--Mummies--Book of the Dead--The arts--Industry-- Architecture--Tombs--Temples--Sculpture--Painting--Literature-- Destinies of the Egyptian civilization.

CHAPTER IV

THE ASSYRIANS AND BABYLONIANS. Chaldea--The land--The people--The cities.

THE ASSYRIANS--Assyria--Origins--Ancient accounts--Modern discoveries-- Inscriptions on bricks--Cuneiform writing--The Assyrian people--The king--Fall of the Assyrian Empire.