What Happened On Bourbon Street

"Hey Kelley, what's up with Press?" Tobin asked as she caught up to Kelley and pointed to Christen who was walking ahead of the rest of the group.

The team was out exploring Bourbon Street in New Orleans celebrating Abby's last game and trying to forget their first loss at home in over a decade. By Christen's demeanor, hands in her pockets and head towards the ground, Tobin could tell she wasn't really into it.

"I think she's bummed about not scoring. She was really quiet when we got back on the bus. I couldn't even get her to smile." Kelley explained.

"Thanks Kel," Tobin hummed. She jogged ahead of the rest of the group and caught up to Christen. She put on her biggest smile and ran into Christen trying to get her to loosen up. Tobin put her hand on Christen's lower back around and expected to see a smile in response to her goofy antics, but was met with a blank expression. Tobin's face dropped.

"What's wrong Press? You don't seem too stoked to be here."

Christen sighed and shrugged Tobin's arm off of her. Tobin tried to ignore the hurt that bubbled up in her stomach.

"You know you can always talk to me Chris, right?" Tobin asked with a softer tone in her voice.

Christen kept quiet for a few minutes and hoped that Tobin would leave her alone. When Christen realized that Tobin was content with walking in silence she cleared her throat.

"It's my fault."

Tobin tilted her head to the side as to signal her confusion.

"It's my fault we lost the game and the streak. Jill put me in for Abby and I was supposed to score so she could go out on top, but I couldn't do it," Christen explained as she kicked a few rocks in their path.

"Chris, you're not really beating yourself up about that, are you? Look," Tobin said as she pointed over to Abby who was talking to a group of fans that was hanging around the local shops. She was laughing, taking pictures, and even signing inappropriate body parts. Tobin smiled and looked back at Christen who quickly averted her gaze from the legendary player who was clearly having a good time.

Tobin took a deep breath. She knew it wasn't Christen's fault they lost and in the back of her mind Christen herself knew that as well. However, Tobin gets the weight on a player to prove themselves because she was in that position not too long ago. With the media speculating who's going to get cut from the Olympic roster next year and with Christen's name being mentioned several times, Tobin understands the harsh scrutiny Christen is putting on herself. Tobin lets Christen be alone with her thoughts and in a few minutes they've arrived at their destination. The team is gathered by the door, trying to get settled before they enter the restaurant when a light bulb goes off in Tobin's brain. There was no way she was going to let Christen sulk on such a big night. Tobin looked over to Christen who was a few steps behind her and still lost in her mind. She came up with a plan to get the bubbly Christen back.

"Alright guys, let's get in there and celebrate the great Abby Wambach for the last time!" Heather screamed as she entered the building. The gals follow suit, screaming at the top of their lungs with their hands in the air.

Tobin was about to enter when she swung to the side and held open the door to let Christen in front of her. Tobin waited for some type of acknowledgement with a big smile on her face, but Christen sauntered past her without looking back. Tobin's smile fell and she shoved her way in front of Kelley who looked offended that Tobin hadn't held the door open for her.

"What was that, Tobs? Am I not good enough for you to hold open the door for me?" Kelley asked as she feigned hurt. Tobin rolled her eyes in response and locked her sight on Christen, who took a seat right in between Ali and Meghan. Kelley followed her friend's gaze and raised her eyebrow in confusion. They all took their seats at the extremely long table that had been arranged for them. Tobin sat at the end across from Kelley and next to Becky, but still had a clear view of Christen, who had her arms crossed instinctively over her chest.