8

(After this chapter it goes back to Justine's Point of View)
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

- Duchess's POV -

"You have given us a handful, Katja."
I looked around the table at my older brother, Eric and my older sister, Carmen. Seated with us was of course, Elizabeth and the Mason siblings except for Joel. Carmen scoffed and placed her napkin on her lap as Eric's butler, Victor came into the dining room with the main course.

"She's a young woman who's been through a tough time, Eric," I said giving him a pleasing look to agree with me. "If you only knew what she's been through—"

Carmen turned to Alex and Dorrian, "How is she in training? Has she show any genetic reactions? The Council is about ready to have them move to the next section of training," she stated cutting me off. I bit my lip as Dorrian cleared his throat.
"She is a natural in combat, Aunt. Justine has the potential to even be on our squadron given the chance," Dorrian said looking at Alex.

Alex stayed quiet for a moment before looking at me. "If I was going based off feeling I would say that her attitude on its own screams she doesn't belong in the Mason faction but with the Spaldings," he spat. "That lone wolf thing is a specialty those mutts have in common."

Oh god no...anything but the Spalding faction. "But..." I perked up. "As a teacher to a student...Justine has talent. She is a leader. I think we all noticed that when she had the recruits change their minds about leaving because of those deaths."

"I heard about that," Cherine chuckled. "Even when I spoke to her yesterday afternoon I felt something...it reminded me of Joel."
So I'm not the only one. When I first met Justine I was irritated by her wearing my choker but I knew the only one who could have given it to her was Joel...and Joel wouldn't give it to anyone. He saw something in her. "She also help capture that rapist," Carter chimed in. "Wasn't as smooth but good enough for a beginner."

Carmen sat quietly staring at her food and then prayed for it. Before picking up her utensils she looked at Cherine and Staci, who like always remained quiet. "The two of you will be heading out on that mission tomorrow, yes?" She asked. Staci nodded.

"It shouldn't take more than three days," Cherine said sipping from her wine glass.

"Carter and Jonathan then. I leave the Weaponry portion of training to you two. You will be assisted by Thomas Masters, a member of Joel's team and yours," Carmen ordered. The two boys nodded and Elizabeth looked at me. Unlike Carmen, Elizabeth listened to my ideas and saw in Justine what I saw. She nodded and then looked at Dorrien, "Dorrien, I want you to keep a close eye on Justine. You are to learn everything about her from the time she brushes her teeth to the people she interacts with everyday. I want a full analysis on her."

"Yes, mother."

Eric looked around the table and then nodded. "If that's all...I'm ready to eat."