One - The Murders Begin

"People of Crescent Hill, there is no need to be afraid. We have caught the person who has been going on a rampage and killing all our citizens. Please continue with your normal routines as if nothing ever happened. We will be announcing more details as the emerge." Heather Hamilton speaks to all the people in a reassuring voice, but no one believes her. They all know the truth now. No one is safe.

"So we're just supposed to forget about the murdered ones?" I whisper angrily to Eric, who stands beside me. He sighs, and shrugs.

"Thank you, meeting adjourned." My aunt turns and leaves, heading back into Town Hall. Eric takes my hand and guides us through all the people.

"Should we head back to school?" I ask as we near the building. The meeting was called during the middle of the school day.

"I'd assume so." Eric nods at the other kids heading towards the large building. One side is for ages five through eleven, and the other side is for ages twelve through eighteen. We head for the farther side, where I see some of my friends.

"Laine!" Chelsea waves me over, her eyes looking red. An autumn leaf falls on her skirt as we near, and she doesn't brush it away. "Has your aunt lost her mind?" Her voice is little more than a shrill whisper.

"Maybe. She must know that we know the Killer hasn't been caught!" Eric wraps his arm around my shoulder as I speak.

"Chelsea!" Chelsea's brother Todd comes rushing up, the light brown hair they share messed up from the wind. "We have to go home now!"

"Why?" This time it's Eric who speaks. He and Todd are pretty good friends.

"The Killer has struck again! In the Town Hall while the Mayor was speaking!"

"Oh no!" Chelsea's eyes grow wide. "See you guys later!" She takes off with her brother, pulling her skirt up as she runs. I turn to Eric.

"We should go. The news seems to be spreading." I look around and motion to our departing classmates, all panicked.

"Okay." We walk quickly away from the building, and towards the homes. On our way we pass Marie walking with Charlotte and Scarlett Hudson. Scarlett and Marie still go to the first school, but Charlotte is only three years younger than me and Eric.

"Marie, come on! We're going home." I tug at my sister's hand, and she waves goodbye to the Hudsons.

"I'm tired! You're going to fast!" Marie complains, and I sigh, looking at Eric.

"Climb on, kid." He gets down on one knee, and Marie happily gets on his back.

"You're getting too old for this." I tell Marie. She ignores me.

"Here's your stop." Eric says when we reach home. Marie jumps off his back and runs inside.

"Get home safe." I smile. Everything about him is perfect, from his green eyes to his curly black hair. I engulf him in a hug, feeling his strong arms around me.

"I will." He leans back a little and presses a kiss on my cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye!" I call after him as he starts jogging home. 

Inside, the full house is bustling with people Mother is at the sewing table with Aunt Juliette, Benny is playing with the wooden blocks Father made him, Marie is starting her homework across from Uncle Leif who's pouring over paperwork, Grandfather is in the workshop with his saw and polish, and Father is helping him. Everyone is here, except for Heather. Not unusual I suppose. 

"Laine, honey! School was closed?" Mother speaks so calmly, I guess she hasn't heard yet. 

"There was another murder in Town Hall. Did you see anything Uncle Leif?" I turn to him, and he looks up from his paperwork. 

"I didn't see anything. Told to come home and finish my hours here. Heather will kill me if it's not done." He sighs, and turns back to the work, grumbling about an inconvenience. 

"So... You aren't at all worried?" The concept puzzles me. If there had been a murder at school during Break Block I'd be freaking out! The murderer was so close to Uncle Leif. Maybe it was the person next to him, or across from him, or even someone he said hi to every once in a while that got murdered. I think about Chelsea, and Todd, and... Eric. What if they had been the one killed?

"Wasn't me who bit it, sweetie." He sounds almost annoyed with my questions now.

"Do you know who was killed?"

"Yeah. Her name was Violet Pinkard." My eyes grow wide. She must be related to a boy in my class, Joseph Pinkard. I bet he'll care about her death, even if my terrible uncle seems not to. 

"Oh, I know someone with that last name." I choke out. I want to cry. It so easily could have been my uncle... then Benny really would be an orphan. 

"Do you now?" I can tell he's only half listening. 

"Yeah." I mutter and walk towards the stairs. 

"Laine, wait!" Marie calls. I turn, hoping she'll tell me she's sorry for the person with that last name. 

"What?"

"How many logs in a bundle?"

It's a school question. I let out a frustrated sigh. "Twelve." I answer, and walk up the stairs. It's so much quieter up here. Feels like only I live here, not the nine of us. But when I turn eighteen I can move out and live with Eric, probably having taken over Mother and Aunt Juliette's business. Because that's what Hamilton's do. Take over the family business. Be powerful, respected. Hope people forget about Uncle Leif. 

Father works with Grandfather, and one day Marie will get their business, Hamilton Woodworkers. Mother and Aunt Juliette will give me Hamilton Clothing, and Benny will probably be stuck in the same rut as his father, maybe working for one of us instead of with one of us. 

"Laine? Where'd you go?" Aunt Juliette calls up. "It's your night to make dinner." 

"Coming." I was going to start later, ya' know, not at two in the afternoon, but maybe it will take four hours to cook for us.

What I didn't know as I cooked, was that someone was plotting my family's murder.