Ch 1: A Celtic Language

"What are you doing?"

Stiles looked up and snorted, "Hello Derek", he licked the ice cream from his cone in answer, and "What does it look like I'm doing?" he asked sardonically.

"Okay, granted that was a stupid question", Derek chuckled softly, and hummed, "Wait here", he instructed and jogged off.

He returned a few minutes later with a cone of yellow Ice-cream.

"What flavor did you get?" Stiles asked curiously.

"Lemon Cheesecake, you?" he asked equally curious. Not that the scent wasn't a dead giveaway.

"Butterscotch-Peanut Butter Combination", Stiles answered as he licked another swipe.

"We're the same", he murmured. "I never really thought about that, but we're pretty similar", Derek muttered and took a bite of his cheesecake.

"Aww Sourwolf, you getting sentimental on me?" Stiles teased as he took another bite.

"Haven't heard that one in a long time", Derek huffed amused.

"Splendiferous", Stiles snapped his fingers sassily and then snorted at the look on Derek's face, "So why Lemon, I figured you'd be secretly into sweets?" he wondered soaking in the last rays of sunlight, tilting his head back just a bit.

"Nope. That was Laura. Ugh", he shuddered dramatically, the shiver coursing through Stiles as they sat side by side, on a bench.

"Why the dramatics?" Stiles tilted his head curiously, eyes focusing back on Derek.

Honey soaked orbs blinking up at the wolf.

Deceptively innocent...

"Laura once ordered a Vanilla Ice-cream, and then promptly drowned the ice cream in Honey, Strawberry Crush, Chocolate Syrup, Maple Syrup (don't ask) and another sugary concoction—" he laughed softly at the scandalized look Stiles shot him, features twisted in disgust.

"Ugh, why???" he whined taking a bite unconsciously to avoid the phantom taste of an ice cream sundae being presented.

"Me, personally I like things that are tangy, sour or you know sweet 'n' sour. Like you like Reese's' mostly because of the sweet and salty taste, and you like Banana candy, same reasoning it's not overly sweet and offers a salty aftertaste. And I've noted you prefer Dark Chocolate over normal Milk chocolate and you really like butter cookies, because they're the perfect blend of sweet and salty", Derek listed between bites of his cheesecake.

Stiles blinked up at him, deceptively innocent eyes narrowed in wry amusement.

"Yeah", he smirked, "I didn't think anyone ever noticed my tastes before. Mom liked Dark chocolate, and could never stand dad's, incessant, need for really seriously sweet things. Where mom liked stuff like cheesecake or mint and chocolate cookies, or something like creamy sweet less pastries, I never questioned her. I guess in some ways I have both her and dad in me. I like Red Velvet cupcakes as well as Chocolate mint cookies, but if asked to choose between them, I think I'd veto both and go for peanut butter cookies", he laughed then and shook his head, "Oh wow, I don't know where that came from. Me, rambling again, bet you didn't miss that", he snickered, taking another bite of his cone.

"I did", Derek answered softly.

"What?" Stiles shot him a shocked look. Derek paused at the shocked tone, and turned to face Stiles, seriously elaborating;

"You're muted now. I once called you a skinny defenseless human, and you ended up being possessed by a 900 year old demon, coming out stronger than all of us. And recently I called you a hyperactive spaz, but you aren't that anymore, are you? You handled Liam beautifully, and your incessant need to ramble, is well like I said muted", Derek answered taking a bite out of his cone, crunching on the waffle wafer.