Prologue

Prologue

//Dawn's POV//

I worked my way through the crowd of people, laughing and saying hello to people I had never met before. This was where I belonged- at the center of a crowd. Music bounced off the walls, filling the room with sound that clashed with the voices of the guests.

"Dawn," Jack tugged on my arm and I turned to look at him. "C'mon! I want you to meet my friends." I nodded and followed him to a small table where two guys and three girls were sitting.

They were all engaged in their own conversations, but they looked up when they spotted Jack and I.

"Hey, guys!" Jack plopped down into an open seat and I took the seat next to him, bringing one leg up to rest on top of the other.

"This is Dawn. She just moved to L.A a few days ago. She's staying in my apartment building, and I thought you guys would like her."

"Hey," one of the guys, who had black tussled hair and stubble smiled widely and reached out to shake my hand.

I gripped his hand and he shook it firmly. "I'm Sean. Sean Klitzner."

"Hi, Sean," I smiled and pulled my hand back. "I'm Dawn Carter."

"This is my wife, Noelle." The woman next to him smiled and waved, so I waved back.

"And you know me," the brunette man winked before throwing his head back in laughter.

I giggled at his silliness. "No, actually, I don't."

"You know," the blonde sitting next to the man laughed, "you're not as famous as you think you are, Toby!"

He snorted before returning his attention to me. "Toby Turner."

He pointed at the two women on his left. "This snarky blonde," she batted at him but he evaded it easily and continued, "is Clare Lourdes, my assistant."

He pointed to the brunette. "And that's Olga Kay."

"Hi, everyone," I chuckled. They were all so lively and friendly. I loved them already. "And that's everyone!" Jack announced.

I fit in easily with this group. The music switched from Neon Trees to The Wanted to Superchick to pretty much every genre you could think of while we talked for hours.

I got to know all of them, learning that Sean, Toby and Olga were YouTubers along with Jack. I learned that Clare had met them all by working with Toby, and that Noelle and Sean had been married for a little over a year now.

"So, Dawn," Noelle rested an elbow against the table, "how many friends have you made so far here in L.A?"

I laughed. "You guys are actually the first. Well, besides Jack,"

I smiled at him and he rolled his eyes. The song switched to Glad You Came by The Wanted and I gasped. This was my favorite song ever.

"If one of you doesn't go dance with me," I held my hands up to exaggerate the importance of this act, "I will never talk to any of you ever again."

Toby came with me to the dance floor while the rest remained at the table, feigning fatigue. "Babies!" Toby taunted as the two of us worked our way to the middle of the house and danced wildly with everybody else at the party.

Toby did some crazy dance moves, holding his phone out to record himself.

A few other guys joined him. They all waved their arms around ridiculously, shouting the lyrics. Everyone else, including myself, clapped along to the beat.

When the song ended, Toby let out a groan and dropped to the floor, causing laughter to bubble up from the crowd.

"Need some help?" I asked, holding my hand out to him. He gripped my hand and I pulled him up before helping him back to the table.

He was breathing heavily and his curls clung to the sweat on his forehead. "I didn't know you could dance like that," I giggled and he shook his head, but I could see the small smirk on his face.

What a cutie. When the party started dying down, I found myself still fully awake. I walked out of the house with the people I had met tonight.

Everyone said goodbye, climbing into their own cars or setting off down the sidewalk towards their homes. I thought about going back to my empty, silent apartment still filled with boxes and I frowned.

If there was one thing I absolutely hated, it was being alone. "Dawn!" somebody called and I looked over my shoulder to see Toby jogging over to where I was standing.

He had shrugged a black jacket over his green shirt and had his hands stuffed in his pockets. "Hey, what's up?"

"I don't want to go home," I sighed. "It's still early." "Oh," he furrowed his eyebrows like he was thinking. "Oh, crap," he slapped his forehead and I laughed lightly. 

"What's wrong?" "I forgot that Bailee..." His face lit up. "Want to come to my house for a bit?"