Chapter 60: Christmas

"Welcome."

Amitola smiled. She loved that word.

"I'm Elise, and you must be Amitola," the blonde woman beamed, inviting her into her house. Behind her Amarissa stood on the doorstep, gawking at her surroundings.

"You have a beautiful apartment, Elise," Amarissa commented as she stepped in. Elise took her coat and handed it to a man in a black and white suit. Amitola removed her own red coat, shivering slightly as the man took it for her, packing it into a closet along with all the others. Cold air blew in from the open door, where everyone else was still arriving.

"Ellie!"

"Bonnie!"

Amitola watched her real mother embrace Deandre's foster mother, who had so graciously invited them over for Christmas Eve dinner. Julio followed, pecking Elise on the cheek. "It's good to see you again," he grinned. Bonita raised her eyebrows, wrapping her fingers around her husband's forearm possessively and dragging him forward.

"My, you have good taste," Bonita awed at the interior design. "I love the theme of gold and white. Very elegant."

Elise smiled. "Yes. I chose it myself. Do you like it?"

"I love it," Bonita replied as they all piled into the living room, which was so spacious but cluttered with eclectic furniture. Amitola had never seen such a beautiful house. Not even Amarissa's apartment was this fancy.

Suddenly, she felt someone shove past her and sure enough, it was Ricardo, running into the center of the room with wide exploring eyes. "Wow! You have an 80 inch TV?!" he exclaimed, pointing to it. That was probably the biggest television Amitola had ever seen, nothing compared to Daniel's 40 inch box.

Elise looked amused at his awe. "Yes, we do. Feel free to watch anything you want on our infinite number of channels."

Ricardo's eyes bulged and he immediately grabbed the remote from the glass coffee table and switched the television on, scrolling through the channels like he had just hit the jackpot. Amitola remained standing, taking in the artwork on the creamy yellow walls. From the white ceiling hung a chandelier that sparkled with its many teardrop lights, illuminating the room.

"You weren't kidding when you said there was art everywhere," Amitola heard Amarissa say from behind her.

Deandre had somehow slipped into the room unnoticed, smirking at Amarissa. "You should see my room," he suggested. "There's more art than actual wall."

Amarissa raised her eyebrows, intrigued. "Can you show me?" she asked slyly.

Deandre took her hand, dragging her out of the room. Amitola watched them both disappear down the hallway, wishing she had Kahana here with her. Ah, young love.

"Amitola!"

Amitola turned to see Lai bounding up to her like an elephant charging, throwing her arms around her. Amitola inhaled her sweet strawberry shampooed hair as she sank into her embrace, until it turned lethal.

"Lai, you're hurting me," Amitola choked out.

Lai let go, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry. I'm just excited that you're here! But where's Amarissa?" Lai glanced around, looking lost. Amitola envied the way she longed for Amarissa, but pushed the silly feeling aside. At least she had some time with Lai to herself.

"She's upstairs with Deandre," Amitola replied.

Lai suddenly clasped Amitola's hand, tugging her along. "Come on, I'll give you a tour of the house!"

Amitola let herself be tugged, her eyes roaming all over the place. The ceilings looked so high, and every room had at least four paintings hanging, including the bathroom. Lai's room was (surprise, surprise) completely pink, but it was a pastel pink, not the sickening hot pink Amitola saw in movies. As Lai showed her each of her trinkets and photographs, Amitola couldn't help wondering how her life would've been if she hadn't been kidnapped. Lai never would've experienced this rich life where she could have anything she wanted whenever she wanted. But she would've been happy, living on the island and playing in the ocean every day, playing predator and prey. Amitola realized the only reason she hung with the boys was because she didn't have a sister to play with. She tried to replace Lai, but Lai couldn't be replaced.