Chapter One

Dull...boring... That wasn't how I wanted my life described and I chased adventure, but I just seemed to end up in the normal existence of daily life. There was so much I wanted, but at the same time there was so much I needed to do out of the obligation of being an adult. I was chasing my fast-paced adventures life, but there seemed to be steps to it like getting a job that would take me there.

I worked some pretty monotonous jobs working my way up. I started at a movie theater serving popcorn while working nights in a nursing home then finally I was the "Sandwich Girl" at a local news station before moving my way up to the mailroom. I finally landed a job of substance. I started working at an assistant to a news producer at a network. I assumed it was going to be amazing and full of excitement, but instead most days I was fetching her coffee and making phone calls of great importance like making her dinner reservations.

I was getting eager for my big break. I had worked very hard for it getting a Bachelors degree in Multimedia Communications and a Bachelors degree in Journalism. I worked my way up the ladder and I was ready to take on real responsibility, but I guess for now it is coffee.

Today had been a long one. I had to stay after because something was wrong with her dry cleaning and of course it was my job to straighten it out. I was exhausted and ready to go home. I just wanted to take off my bra, put on some sweatpants, and order some take-out. I jogged down into the BART station hoping to make the next train and of course I missed it. I reached into my bag for my phone and headphones. I cursed under my breath when I realized I left my headphones at my desk. This was going to be a long ride home without them. I let out a sigh.

"Pittsburg/Bay Point Train arriving in 2 minutes." A computerized voice announced.

"Excuse me ma'am?" asked a male voice with a very distinct British accent. I turned to the voice. Standing next to me was a man who seemed to be in his early 30s. He had chestnut brown hair and striking blue eyes. He gave me a kind smile. I couldn't help, but have my stomach flip at that smile. He wore a very expensive looking grey suit, he wasn't quite the type of guy you'd seen down in a BART station.

"Umm yes." I said nervously.

"Sorry to bother. The Pittsburg/Bay Point train does that take you to Berkeley?" he asked. Besides his accent it was very obvious he was not from around here. I gave him a kind smile.

"No you want the Richmond train. That's the one I'm waiting for." I said.

"Thank you so much. Mind if I wait with you?" he then asked.

"I don't mind." I said. We stood there for a few moments without a word to one another. I looked in his direction. He was looking down at his phone for a moment before putting it in his pocket. He then looked at me. His eyes met mine. My heart skipped a beat. I quickly turned away.

"So you live around here?" he asked.

"I live in Berkeley actually, can't quite afford to live in the city." I said with a frown. I would give anything to live in San Francisco, but on an assistant's salary I was grateful for my tiny studio in Berkeley.

"I was heading there by car, but the driver told me with all the traffic taking the BART would be easier. I figured I could do it. I mean I've survived the London Underground." He said with a laugh.

"Oh yeah on a Friday you want to get out of the city early if going by car. Traffic is a nightmare especially this Friday. It's the last Friday of the month. Never good to be driving." I explained to him.