Chapter 1.

Ok, so i've realised two things in the past 6 years of my double digit years, and even more in the past 3 years i've been a teen. A teenager if some of you didn't know what 'teen' meant; what with us 'teens' and our new lingo (language).

Anyway, the two things i've learnt since I turned 10, are that using words like 'teen' and 'lingo' and then explaining them... is lame.

The second thing is that people actually do care what you look like, even if your mother says any differently, she's still thinking in her head, "Oh why the hell did I have to have a daughter who chooses to dress like a tramp out of sheer desire for comfort". 

"Mother, I don't dress like a tramp." I stood up and placed my palms flat on the table, pushing the chair back causing an ear-aching scraping sound to echo through my ears. 

"I know dear, I kno-" 

"No, mother. You don't know. I know. I know whats going through that head of yours"

She sighed, and stood up to walk to the kitchen counter. Our kitchen was pretty big if I do say so myself. I'm proud of our Kitchen. Its been through a lot, and yet it still stays here with us; what with my mother burning everything.

"Sighing is bad for your health, mother. If it was possible, sighing would make you age" I went to stand next to her, leaning my back on the ridge of the counter so that I was facing her. I could see her wrinkles from here! Dear lord. Do we become our parents when we're older?

"What do you mean, "If it was possible"...?"

"I mean, it's impossible for you to age anymore", I frowned and leaned closer. They can't be laugh lines either. My mother is depressed. She's a parent. It's her job to be forever more depressed after getting married and giving birth. 

"Mary Louise Reed!" 

"What?" I shook my head as I watched her struggle to find words. She kind of looks like a fish.

So what, first she's getting wrinkles, now she can't speak? I love my mother. I really do. And I only do the things that are best for her.

I shook my head and grabbed my hand. 

"Mother, I don't want to end up like you! Get you're coat, we're going. Where's the red blanket?"

I stalked off, pulling my mother along with me. I shouldn't listen to her. She is getting old so her mind is probably messed up too. She could get us killed for heavens sake. 

"Mary!"

"Yes?" I stopped and turned around, but not before spotting the light, red blanket ontop of our corner sofa. I skipped towards it, pulling it off in one swift motion and placing it over my shoulder, around my neck and tieing it in a loose knot. Superman to the old womens rescue! Oooh, those mothers are going to be ALL OVER ME! On second thought... I slowly released the blanket, letting it swoop to the floor beside me. I shook my head, thinking of what a shame it was that I couldn't be the new Superman without being hounded by girls. Boys wouldn't come after a Superhero. I know that from experience. Boys don't like you, if you save them.

"Mary?" 

"Yes mother?"

"Stop calling me Mother".

"Alright, Mother".

She came towards me, and held my shoulders. That gave me the opportunity to take a better look at her face. My lips started curling downwards and before I knew it, my face was buried deep in her shoulders where her maroon coloured top soaked up the tears of my youth. 

"Oh dear, what's wrong hun?" She pulled me into one of her big mama bear hugs and sat us down on the sofa nearest to us, opposite the television set. 

"Do we become our parents when we're older?" I looked at her through my dripping lashes, awaiting the answer. 

"Well, you get some traits from both parents, I guess." 

"But everyone say's I look like you."

"Well, we look very similar". She smiled and wiped my cheek. "So, why were you crying?"

"I don't want to look like you, Mother" I slapped a hand over my mouth, as a sob escaped my lips and my dad walked in. When I saw him, all I could do was pull my knees up to my chest and place my face in the crook between them. 

I guess that's what being a teen is all about. Getting wrinkles. And whatnot. But being a teen, is also about shopping. Which is what I shall do after school next week to buy Anti-Wrinkle cream.