Chapter 4

"Thanks Dean" I offered a tense smile as I stared up at my house. I had spent all morning getting my mental evaluation to which I refused to answer even one question. Serves them right. But that led to Dean being upset that I wouldn't get help which led us into the all too familiar argument of if I really needed help.

Finally I got the two of us out of the hospital and the ride home had been quiet. Not a bad silence, or a tense one, but a tired one. I was exhausted, and I think Dean realized this enough to let the argument go. I sat back in the seat, leaning my head against the window. The cold glass felt good against my hot forehead. So Dean let it go, residing to soft classic rock playing through the stereo of his beloved '67 chevy impala with the air conditioning on low.

"Emma, are you sure you're okay?" Dean asked, grabbing my light overnight bag from the backseat. I rolled my eyes, sending him a smile. He sighed tiredly, but a small grin tugged at the corner of his lips.

"I told you Dean, I'm okay. Really, I think I can make it from here to the door" I teased, looking at the short distance that remained between me and the front porch of my house. I really hoped I could make it to my house without writhing in pain because then Dean would never leave me be.

"Okay, if you're sure" Dean agreed, nodding softly as he gently placed my bag into my lap. It brushed the bullet wound on my thigh which was exactly what Dean was trying to avoid. So instead I bit down the wince, pushing the door open before I could cry out.

The cool breeze hit me like a slap, reminding me that fall was right around the corner. Fall was the season with the highest amount of crimes in Boston and my energy was dwindling. I just couldn't think about that right now; I had to take it one day at a time. I grabbed onto the door handle, pushing myself up to my feet. I wavered for a moment, using the door as a crutch. I took a deep breath, nodding my head as I stepped forward. I turned, offering Dean a smile. For a moment I was tempted to hop back in the car and go back to Dean's place and hang out with him and Cas.

But reality was calling and I needed to get a goodnight's sleep in my own bed. After all, I hadn't slept in it for a over a month. Plus I had bills to do, taxes to pay, a job to get back to and a cactus to water. I had plenty of stuff to keep me busy on my own, enough to keep unwanted memories down.

"Bye Dean" I offered a wave, shutting the door. Dean forced a grin on his face, the expression resembling more of a wince. Worry shone through his eyes as he watched me hobble to the door, my bag gripped tightly in my hand.

"Remember, call me if you need anything. I mean anything!" Dean called through the closed door, a smile coming over my face along with an exasperated eye roll. I gave him a thumbs up, waving him away. With a nod and a hesitant wave, he finally pulled away.

I closed my eyes, listening to the loud purr of her engine getting softer as he drove away. I took a deep inhale, smelling the freshly cut grass next door and the flowers blooming on the bushes out front. For once I didn't smell sterilized hospital equipment or my own blood. It was a nice and a well needed change.

I continued forward, gripping the wooden railing tight as I climbed the short staircase. I paused at the top of the step, bending over as I leaned against the post as I tried to catch my breath. My chest was aching with each breath and my leg was throbbing. I closed my eyes, allowing my body to recover from the short amount of physical exertion.

Finally, I got myself to stand upright, my body relaxing as I reached the door. I reached up, smiling as I felt my hand wrapping around my key.

"I had another house key made for you. I didn't want you to lose this one so I got you another chain" Dean grinned, holding the gold key that shimmered under the hospital's florescent lights.