Chapter 20

Numb.

That's all what Lauren felt. Her body should have responded to the nurses trying to speak with her in the hospital, but she didn't. Because she didn't feel anything.

She was numb.

Camila was here, sitting next to her. She was holding Lauren's hand, rubbing her fingers over Lauren's knuckles soothingly. Lauren didn't notice.

Out of all the people in the world... Chris?

Chris. Her idiot brother. The boy who annoys her to no end. Her little baby brother.

The doctors were doing everything they can to help him, but they were fighting a downhill battle. He lost so much blood, and he was beginning to become unresponsive.

Lauren stared at the same spot for hours, not noticing the movement going around her. Her mind was blank, her body was numb. She can't even remember how she got to the hospital in the first place.

Camila felt broken. She couldn't bear seeing Lauren like this. She also couldn't get the picture of Chris's mangled body out of her head. The bloodied mess on the ground, hearing the faint heartbeat, claw marks covering his body. It was horrendous.

He was alive, thank god, but barely. Camila couldn't help but feel responsible. She took Chris' attack as a warning.

It was now late into the night. She had ordered the rest of her pack and Liz to go home while she stayed with the Jauregui's for moral support. Lauren was still unresponsive while Taylor had fallen asleep on one of the couches. Clara and Mike were busy talking to the doctors.

Sooner or later Lauren fell asleep in Camila's arms, tears staining her cheeks. It hurt Camila internally.

"Hi, sweetie," Clara said softly, sitting down next to Camila. It was 3 in the morning, the waiting room was almost deserted.

"Hi," Camila croaked. "How is he?"

Clara let out a shaky breath. "They're managing, but, it doesn't look too great,"

Camila felt tears prick her eyes. "I'm so-"

"Oh, honey, it's not your fault," Clara said, wiping the tears off Camila's cheeks "I am so grateful you found him. Who would have known what would have happened if you- if you hadn't-"

Clara placed a hand over her mouth, sobbing silently. Camila took the hand that wasn't being used as a pillow by Lauren to rub Clara's back.

She didn't know what to say. This was different from any other situation she's ever been in. When her parents were murdered, she didn't have anyone to say "they're going to make it" because they were already dead. She didn't know if saying that to Clara would be comforting or setting her up for disappointment.

She contemplated on saying "I know what it's like to lose someone" but she thought that was selfish. So she opted to stay silent.

"Hey, kiddo," Mike said, walking up to the girls. "Why don't you go home? Get some rest. We all really appreciate you being here, but I don't want you wasting your time here when you could be sleeping,"

Camila glanced at the sleeping girl in her arms, then back up at Mike.

"With all due respect, Mr. Jauregui, I want to stay here. Not just for Lauren, but for Chris. I-I can't help but feel... responsible..."

"Sweetie, you had nothing to do with this," Clara said, putting a hand on Camila's shoulder. "This was a freak accident,"

Looking at Mike and Clara, Camila's stomach filled with guilt. If only they knew...