Chapter Two

The noise of a twig snapping caught me off guard, sending me on edge. I was on the outskirts of the packs territory, so it could've been a rogue. There weren't a lot out here, but on the odd chance there was, they're aggressive.

I swallowed, standing up slowly, making sure not to make any noise. My heart hammered in my chest, and I started to worry about the thing behind me hearing it.

After I flattened myself as best as I could against the tree, I squeezed my eyes tightly. I took a few deep breaths, trying to gather the courage to look behind the tree.

Opening my eyes, I reassured myself that I could take whatever was behind me. Hopefully.

Leaning over, I glanced behind the tree.

A brown hare lay in the grass, nibbling the greenery beneath it. The instant it saw me, it took off into the forest.

I sighed in relief, and turned back.

"Do you know first aide?"

The voice took me off guard, causing my to scream and stumble to the ground.

A man with shaggy brown hair stood above me, blood falling from a gash near his brow. He had the kindest eyes.

His grey orbs widened as he bent down, his hand outstretched.

"I didn't mean to spook you, dude! You okay?" He asked. I should be asking you that. I thought.

Hesitantly, I took his hand. For how scrawny he was, he was rather strong. He pulled me to my feet, and brushed my shoulder off.

"So," A crooked smile appeared on his pink lips. "You know first aide or what?"

That was when I realized something. He smelled weird. And not that he smelled bad-- nothing like that. Wolves in a pack have a certain smell. Something that shows where they belong, even if it's subtle.

For example, the wolves in my pack have a subtle sense of rain. It's just natural. This man didn't smell like that. He smelled like blood, and dirt, and even grass.

He was a rogue.

The instant I figured this out, I backed away from him, growling, "Get the hell away from me!"

He looked hurt at my words. Looking down at the ground, he scratched the back of his neck.

"What'd I do?" He asked in a soft voice, it cracked in an odd way.

"What did you do? What did you do!?" I spat. "You tell me! You're the rogue!" How dare he! He must've done something disgusting to get banished from his pack! I thought.

He looked up at me again, eyes wide. "Rogue?" He whispered.

I nodded, glaring at him.

The other male gulped, and held his hand out. The palm of it had callouses, and a few scars. The back, though, was a different story. It was covered in tiny scars, and there were a few new cuts and scrapes.

"My name is Andrew. I'm not a rogue, I promise!" His voice quivered.

I shook my head, asking, "Then where's your pack? Why're you out here?"

"They kicked me out, man." He replied, his eyes narrowing.

"That's the definition of a rogue!" I shouted, balling my fists.

He scoffed, "It wasn't my fault!"

I rolled my eyes. I'm not listening to bullshit. With that thought, I started to walk away.