Chapter 2

Blood And Guitars is the first book in a series. I will be posting the first fifteen or so chapters of this book. For information on how to read the rest of the story, the book trailer, extras and more, visit http://www.heatherjensen.info.

Chapter 2

As usual, Club Sanguin was swarming with energetic vamps looking to blow off some steam and quench their thirst. Antonio actually owned the club, but Malena ran the place for him. I led the way to the front of the line and winked at Daryl, a bouncer I’d come to know, and he let me pass without hesitation. He let Mark in as well, but only after Mark had handed over the ten dollar cover charge. I heard some random complaints from vamps in line as we walked inside but one look from Daryl and the protests died off. I could feel the bass thumping in my chest before the flood of overhead lights bathed me in their red glow. I paused briefly to scan the vamps closest to us on the dance floor. I recognized more than a handful of them.

Mark cleared his throat next to me and I heard the sound even above the music. He nodded toward the upper balcony level and said, “I’ll get drinks and meet you up there.” I nodded and turned to my left, walking up a flight of solid mahogany stairs to the balcony loft that surrounded the dance floor. I found a seat at a small table next to the rail so I had a clear view of the entire club below. I didn’t recognize the DJ, which meant that he must have been new. I didn’t recognize the song he was playing either, but it seemed that everyone was enjoying it as the dance floor was packed with vamps. I glanced at the bar, hoping to see Mark on his way back with our drinks when I smelled someone approaching me from behind. I rolled my eyes, wishing I’d taken the time to reach out with my mind before choosing a seat in the club.

“I was wondering if you might show up tonight,” said a familiar deep voice, almost like a growl. I turned slowly and looked up at Tytus as he leaned down, resting a hand on the table and staring at me hungrily. I groaned, more out of habit than anything. “Is this seat taken?” he asked and then sat down without waiting for my answer.

“Actually it is,” I said. “He’s only gone for drinks.”

“No matter,” he said without hesitation, clasping his huge hands on the table between us. “I’m sure he won’t mind.”

“I mind.” I met his gaze. “Just get out of here already, Ty. I’m not in the mood.”

He narrowed his eyes at me, his big forehead wrinkling with mild agitation. “Aurora, please call me Tytus.” It was a name he’d given himself after he’d made the change. I really didn’t want to associate with someone who would name himself after Titus the roman emperor or anyone else who planned on conquering things or people for that matter. “Awe … come on.” He gave me what I’m sure he thought was an alluring smile. “When are you going to let me take you out?”

I let out a humorless laugh. Tytus was quite a bit older than me and outweighed me by a hundred and fifty pounds. Still I wasn’t afraid of him, although I probably should have been. The vampire was built like a professional football player, which was saying something even before you considered all the extra benefits that come with being a vampire. He was stupid, though. I’d come to that conclusion after he’d hit on me several dozen times despite my blunt rejections. Tytus, like several other vamps I know, spends most moon cycles using the ability to track others with his mind, or reading their minds. It hadn’t taken me long to decipher the motivation behind that pattern. He was with a different woman every time I saw him. He was a pathetic excuse for a vampire by most standards. He was close to reaching his ten year mark as a vamp, and he was nowhere near the level expected in order for the Synod to grant him full use of all the abilities. He was a perfect example of what Antonio wanted those of us in his Brood to avoid. It was almost enough to make me regret my selection of abilities tonight. Almost.