Chapter One

I gave up trying to find my friends in the overcrowded living room of this terrible house party. Great. New Year's Eve and I lost my friends, now what am I supposed to do?

Numbers were being shouted by a house full of intoxicated college kids and adults, they'd started the countdown to the New Year.

Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two..

"Happy New Year!"

Whoever he was, kissed me like he meant business. I melted into the kiss, savouring the taste of apples and cinnamon on his breath. We pulled away slowly, a dumbfounded look on his face.

"Vanessa?" He breathed.

My jaw hung open as my mind registered who he was. "Dean."

"Man, if I knew it was you beforehand I never would have done that."

My temper flared and I ran a hand through my hair to calm myself down.

"Six years and you're still an asshole, huh? I figured someone would have straightened that loud mouth of yours out by now."

"Oh come on, don't be like that Nessa, haven't you missed me?" He smirked, studying the look on my face.

"Not the slightest. It's been quiet since you left, peaceful even." I pointed to a tall figure walking up behind him. "Him, on the other hand I have."

Sam Winchester had changed a lot since he had left with Dean and his father, but the change was good.. Very good. He was taller now, over six foot. His dark brown hair was longer, too, almost to his shoulders. His eyes were a soft blue, and they lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw me. A smile spread across his face as he hugged me tightly.

"I can't believe you're here, Sammy. What have you been doing for six years?"

"You know. Saving people, hunting things. The family business." Dean chimed in. "I need a drink after that experience, you guys want anything?"

"I'll have what you're having." I replied, knowing he'd come back with some sort of aged whiskey.

I hated to admit how good Dean looked. His smile was perfect, and his mossy green eyes were glowing. He was a lot more fit than he was the last time I had seen him.

The last time I had seen him or Sam, I was seventeen. I spent every day with them, and in the summers we would go camping and get so drunk we couldn't remember our own names. The last summer I spent with them was the best, and none of us wanted it to end. It was the summer I got my first tattoo, and lost my virginity.

My thinking was interrupted when Sam spoke up, giving me most questioning smile I had ever seen. I couldn't help but giggle. "So, what 'experience'?"

"Oh, I, well-he.. I was standing counting down to the ball drop and neither of us realized it and he, well um he kissed me.."

"And let me guess, he played it off as if it were nothing?"

"Yep. Same old Dean, just like Baldwin City when he tripped and took my virginity." My voice lowered as I spoke the last few words of the sentence.

"Right. I almost forgot about that.."

The look in his eyes told me exactly how sorry he was, he'd always cared for me more than anyone else had. He was my best friend, my go-to for everything. I'd never seen someone angrier than Sam was when Dean broke my heart that summer.

Dean came strolling back, with a big bottle of something wrapped in a paper bag. He smirked at me, offering me the first drink. I took it, peeling the brown bag off of the bottle. My eyes widened and my mouth hung open.